5 top tips for attracting and retaining your Facebook audience

Credit Yuri Arcurs

WITH 864 million users logging in every day, Facebook is the world’s largest social network and the second most visited website in the UK, after Google.

Free of charge and easy to use, more people are turning to Facebook to promote their businesses.


1) Finish your page 

A common error. Nothing looks less professional than a half finished profile that leaves out key information.

Fill in all required fields, including up-to-date contact information and a link to your website.

Make sure your logo is of high quality and use relevant photographs or images.


2) Post regularly 

A regular posting schedule is essential for attracting and keeping followers. Posting to Facebook 10 times in one day and then not again for 6 months is not the way to do it.

Try something new, new content, different times and different styles, you will soon see what works and what doesn’t.

Once you have created a pattern use the Facebook scheduling service, it’s a god send!


3) Create engaging content 

Followers expect you to provide regular content that’s entertaining, informative or useful to them in some way.

This does mean testing what works for you but in general photo and video posts tend to be better at grabbing people’s attention than simple text statuses.

People also love to win things so exclusive offers and competitions are also a great way to attract new followers and entertain current ones.


4) The 80/20 Rule

Studies show that posting too much sales content is one of the worst things you can do on Facebook. No one likes to feel like they are being sold to – constantly!

Dedicate 20% of all your content to promotional messages and the other 80% to content that’s interesting and relevant.

Sharing content from other sources is okay too, such as news articles, blog posts, infographics or even funny memes, just see what works and ensure you keep the same brand message throughout.


5) Interaction is key

Get on it. Check your Facebook page regularly, so that you can respond to any questions or comments.

This is a great opportunity to show your followers that you care. Don’t be scared of online complaints, a speedy response can go a long way in demonstrating great customer service.