Disability Snowsport UK
About Disability Snowsport UK (DSUK)
Changing Attitudes at Altitude
Disability Snowsport UK is a national charity that provides life enhancing experiences, through snowsports, for both children and adults with physical and learning disabilities and chronic illnesses.
We believe that anyone, regardless of their disability or background, should be able to enjoy the thrill of snowsports; that they should be able to ski or board alongside non-disabled skiers and boarders as equals.
Our members, young and old, live with disabilities ranging from mild learning disabilities to more severe disabilities, such as paralysis, spinal injuries, visual impairments, autism, amputations, cerebral palsy and traumatic brain injuries.
We exist to reap the many positive benefits associated with snowsports for children and adults with disabilities. We do this by offering:
· Overseas Activity Weeks. Each year we organise snowsport activity weeks throughout Europe and the USA
· Adaptive snowsport instruction at the indoor snow centres based at Tamworth, Hemel Hempstead, Manchester and Glasgow and outdoors on the dry slope in Edinburgh and in the winter on the Cairngorm Mountains.
· Supporting a network of recreational local groups, run by volunteers that meet monthly around the UK to offer recreational snowsports to the disabled community lead by qualified adaptive snowsport instructors
· Supporting schools and youth programmes. We aim to give young people with a disability the same opportunities to participate in snowsports as their able-bodied peers and we do this by providing adaptive snowsports lessons for schools and youth groups.
· Providing adaptive snowsport instructor and volunteer training
· Access for All Race League offering a unique opportunity for disabled and non-disabled skiers and snowboarders to race the same course categorised to their ability. The Access for All Race League also offers a pathway for those interested in taking their skiing into the competitive elite snowsports with a link the British Parasnowsport Team.
· Elite Snowsports. Disability Snowsport UK supports the British Parasnowport Team who run performance programmes for disabled snowsport athletes. British Parasnowsport Athletes represent their country at all levels of the sport; IPCAS, Europa Cup, World Cup and the Paralympic Games.
For further information, to get involved or to make donation to the charity, please go to www.disabilitysnowsport.org.uk