Glenbarr is a small village located in the Argyll and Bute area of Scotland on the west side of the Kintyre peninsula.

Neighbouring the villages of Muasdale and Bellochantuy, Glenbarr is surrounded by beautiful woods, a long winding glen and the river Barr, which stretches from the hills above Arnicle down to Killegruer shore. Glenbarr is home to around 50 households and approximately 115 residents.


Within Glenbarr, we have a village shop including a post office which incorporates a café and garden nursery and attracts visitors from across the area. Glenbarr Primary School is situated on the A83 road to the north of the village coming just after Glenbarr war memorial.


Entering the village from the south, the road winds around to the centre of the village, passing Glenbarr Abbey, the home and family seat of the Macalisters of Glenbarr.

The Abbey, built around 1700, was once the centre point of the village, which boasted a tailor, blacksmith, three shops, thatched roofed crofters cottages and a sawmill. The Macalisters also owned the river Barr which has become renowned for its salmon and sea trout fishing. The Abbey is now owned by the Charitable Trust in the name of Clan Macalister to be used as a Clan Centre.

See the latest jobs first with alerts

Follow Glenbarr Community Development Association to get notified when they add new jobs.

You can unsubscribe at any time.