- Sector: Engineering and Technical
- Specialism: Infrastructure
- Location: Cardiff
- From £87,091 per annum
- Hours: Full Time
- Contact: Human Resources
- Reference: IRC2144226
The railway plays a critical role in connecting people, businesses and communities to support both regional and national economic growth. We run the safest railway in Europe, committed to getting everyone home safe every day. In our role as an asset management service organisation, Network Rail owns, operates, maintains and, where funded, enhances the railway infrastructure.
The Wales and Borders railway includes key commuter routes in and around Cardiff and the valleys as well as lines serving towns, cities, and rural and coastal communities on the North Wales coast and in Mid and West Wales. In partnership with key stakeholders and train and freight operating companies, we are working to build a railway that delivers quality rail infrastructure to passengers.
Our Control Period 6 (CP6) Strategic Business Plan for 2019-2024 supports our mission to run a safe, reliable, affordable and growing railway that better meets the needs of our customers and provides maximum value for taxpayers and our funders. It represents a total proposed investment of '1.34 billion across Wales and Borders, with a significant number of diverse schemes designed to deliver improvements at a local level, benefitting as many rail users as possible. It is an exciting time for Network Rail, with a clear mission, a winning team of dedicated employees and plans in place to deliver a better Wales and Borders of which we can all be proud.
Route Businesses plan, operate and maintain the railway day-to-day. Our business units ' 'routes' ' work closely with our customers, and are accountable for improving customer service, safety, and performance, as well as providing a value for money railway.
As Infrastructure Maintenance Engineer you will lead and direct the Engineering team in the efficient delivery of inspection, maintenance and project related works for all Infrastructure assets to meet relevant standards. To drive culture transformation for safety and asset performance creating continual improvement and deliver safety, compliance and performance strategies, following business processes in order to deliver a compliant, well performing asset through a safe large multi-disciplinary team.
The key accountabilities of the role are summarised as follows:
1. You will create a customer focused, high performing team and provide professional leadership and direction in values, behaviours and the application of engineering practises and techniques. Build a strategy for developing a succession of competent engineers to provide service continuity (safety, compliance and performance) and support continual professional development.
2. You will act as engineering professional lead to develop and lead the implementation of the annual maintenance business plan, ensuring that work is correctly prioritised and volumes delivered to plan, and within agreed budgetary constraints.
3. You will lead the engineering team to deliver holistic asset management, identifying deterioration rates, effectiveness of maintenance intervention, and optimal renewal timescales to reduce overall asset costs.
4. You will lead the continuous improvement cycle. Identify and implement safety, asset performance, reliability, productivity and efficiency improvement initiatives. Coordinate asset renewals proposals and in conjunction with the Route Asset Management team monitor timescales for delivery against asset condition including deferred renewal sites.
5. You will lead the engineering team to be compliant to the management assurance process, create a review strategy that identifies and prevents non-compliance to standards. Check that inspection and maintenance activities are completed in line with policies, procedures and standards, with non-compliances identified, submitted and appropriate action taken where required.
6. You will lead the engineering team in the delivery of health and safety, creating a plan of inspection and monitoring to continually improve safety performance and influence culture change. Managing the arrangements for staff safety, training and competence and delivering compliance with competency assessment systems.
7. You will develop the engineering team, monitoring adequate resources are available to deliver a flexible, competent, skilled and effective workforce at all times and manage staff welfare, use of equipment and fatigue levels. Undertake appropriate safety tours, staff surveillance, work quality and asset condition checks.
8. You will undertake formal investigations and investigate and report on accidents/incidents.
9. You will develop and improve relationships with key stakeholders and suppliers. Lead as the ORR Interface for safety/maintenance/compliance issues.
10. You will identify and lead the introduction of new systems on the network, where applicable, including systems/safety approvals and monitoring so that processes and documentation exist for sustained network usage.
11. You will direct the timely assignment of, and thereafter, discharge of, Construction Design Management (CDM) duties for all maintenance activities.
12. You will discharge the relevant duties assigned under the NR Engineering Management Plan to include the role of Construction Engineering Manager (CEM).
13. You will create a strategy for developing and evolving weather preparedness plans and lead the team in the safe delivery of the plan.
Do you have?
Network Rail welcomes applications regardless of age, disability, marital status (including civil partnerships), pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, transgender status, sex (or gender), employment status, trade union affiliation, or other irrelevant factor. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria. We positively embrace flexible working recognising that employees may wish to balance work and family/home life.
Keeping people safe on the railway is at the heart of everything we do, safe behaviour is therefore a requirement of working for Network Rail. Applicants should demonstrate their personal commitment to safety in their application.
Network Rail can offer you a rewarding career with competitive pay and excellent benefits including a choice of contributory pension schemes, a generous annual leave package, a bonus scheme and an annual 75% subsidy on season tickets costing up to '3,333 (to a maximum amount of '2,500).
Network Rail is required to comply with UK Government standards when carrying out pre-employment checks for all new starters; this includes a basic criminal record check. In addition to the basic criminal record check, in accordance with the UK Government we are also required to verify your identity, right to work in the UK and previous three years employment history.
Closing date: 25/03/2019. Late applications will not be accepted. We retain the right to close the advert before the listed closing date based on application volumes.
Please note that it is envisaged that interviews will take place w/c 8th April 2019.
We can't find any similar jobs at the moment.