Position: Senior Data Protection Solicitor
Salary: £43,200 to £65,500 plus bonus
Permanent position, 37 hours - flexible working hours
An exciting opportunity has arisen within the Legal team for a Commercial Lawyer/ Privacy Specialist be based from our Reading, Glasgow or Perth office.
The role holder will be responsible for working across the company to provide responses to stakeholders related to UK and EU data protection and privacy law, including supporting strategic and internal business change initiatives. The individual will also deal with complaints, investigations and breach responses and carry out Data Protection Impact Assessments.
The role holder will deputise for the Data Protection Officer (DPO) as required and give advice and support the other Data Protection Solicitors and Data Protection Specialists (DPS's).
You will: -
* Provide first class advice and guidance to relevant stakeholders in relation to Data Protection and the requirements of the GDPR.
* Support the Head of Data Protection and DPO in maintaining a data protection culture across the businesses and monitoring compliance with the internal protection control framework(s).
* Be an expert in data protection and privacy as it relates to contracts including data processing and data sharing agreements and to include processing outside the EEA. (Model clauses and Privacy Shield);
* Supervise and advise on data protection impact assessments.
* Support the data incident response and data breach notification procedures and ensure compliance with relevant requirements
* Prepare and deliver training at all levels of the company and supporting SSE's data protection champions.
* Maintain expert knowledge of GDPR and data protection as it applies to SSE.
In addition, the role holder is accountable for identifying, building and maintaining relationships between DPO Office and key senior management and specific area stakeholders to assist in the development of DPO Office profile and to achieve resolution of any issues.
To be successful in this role, you should be: -
* a qualified solicitor with 3 to 4 years PQE or experience in legal, compliance, risk, security, or audit, with significant experience in a data protection role
* Strong knowledge of data privacy legislation in the UK, including GDPR,
* Demonstrable experience of managing data incidents and breaches
* Experience of interacting with and building trusting relationships with key internal stakeholders, business partners and, if appropriate, Regulatory Authorities.
We all have different skills here at SSE and that's what makes us stand out. We all take pride in a job well done and share the belief that an inclusive culture is key to our success and vision for the future. Passionate about people and proud of our award-winning customer service, we go to great lengths to extend these values to our employees. This enables our diverse workforce the flexibility and opportunity of developing to their full potential. Above all, safety is at the heart of everything we do at SSE and we live by the mantra 'if it's not safe, we don't do it'.
We have an excellent benefits package as part of our offering. Here's a few highlights;
- Generous holiday allowance (you can even buy additional holidays)
- Great share plans
- Group Pension Plan
- One day paid volunteering
- Tailored internal development opportunities
Just click the Apply button to submit your application, it doesn't take long.
Closing date for applications is: 25th April 2019
This vacancy is open to internal and external candidates. If you're internal, please notify your line manager before you submit your application. If you're successful, we'll conduct some pre-employment checks. For more information about this role, or to discuss any adjustments you require to submit your application please get in touch via
We can't find any similar jobs at the moment.