- Sector: Agriculture, Fishing and Forestry
- Location: Lochgilphead
- £9 to £12 per hour,
- Hours: Full Time
- Contact: SSE Plc
Salary: £9.22ph - £12.35ph (depending on skills and experience)
Permanent | Full Time Hours
We invest millions every year to make sure that our network is in the best condition possible to minimise the risk of power cuts and to ensure the safety of the public. During high winds and storms, trees can contact our equipment and cause power cuts, and so we cut them down or trim them back to keep the lights on. As well as installing the latest technologies and carrying out regular maintenance, we have our in-house tree-cutting team to make sure that trees and vegetation are kept away from our overhead lines and equipment.
Being part of a cyclical tree cutting programme, you will work with a highly skilled team to manage trees & vegetation near the transmission and distribution network. Working with safety at the forefront of all activities, you will work with your team to evaluate, prepare and carry out tree cutting works on a variety of sites.
Your Skills and Experience
- Previous experience in tree cutting, forestry or arboriculture; similar capacity experience is also considered
- Holding experience of working with power lines, and climbing would be highly advantageous
- You will be comfortable working outdoors.
- You should already have relevant NPTC certificate units for the use of chainsaws, and a qualification or certificates including NPTC UA would be a bonus, however not essential
- Knowledge of the electricity network would be beneficial, however for the right applicant, full training will be provided
- A full, current driving licence is beneficial as travel will be required
- Enthusiasm and drive with a flexible approach to work and an ability to adapt to changing business and project priorities; you may have to work away from home occasionally so this is key
Whilst the above skills and experience are important, we also have several personal competencies that we look for in our future employees;
- High regard for safety, embedding yourself in our safety culture and adhering to guidelines in everything you do is a key priority
- Good communication skills & comfortable liaising with stakeholders at all levels, both internal and external
- Good organisational skills with an ability to work to deadlines
- Good customer relationship skills, and a commitment to providing a high level service at all times
At Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks (SSEN), our skilled teams operate and maintain our electricity distribution and transmission networks, carrying electricity to over 3.7 million homes across the north of the Central Belt of Scotland and Central Southern England.
Operations are responsible for keeping the lights on; we are at the front line on the Network. If we find a fault, it is our responsibility to respond to the fault, and dispatch our skilled teams to fix it as quickly as possible. We work in all hours, and through all weathers, ensuring our customers are never without power.
We have an excellent benefits package as part of our offering. Here's a few highlights;
- Generous holiday allowance (you can even buy additional holidays)
- Great share plans
- Group Pension Plan
- One day paid volunteering
- Tailored internal development opportunities
For more information about this role, or to discuss any adjustments you require to submit your application please get in touch via sse.
Just click the Apply button to submit your application, it doesn't take long.
Closing date for applications is: 23rd July 2019
This vacancy is open to internal and external candidates. If you're internal, please notify your line manager before you submit your application. If you're successful, well conduct some pre-employment checks.
We can't find any similar jobs at the moment.