- Contact: Recruitment Team
- Reference: BBC/TP/1180449/42849
You’ll be joining a small, focused team working on a reusable cross-platform resiliency layer. You will design solutions based around AWS infrastructure and will write high quality, scalable code mainly in Ruby and Elixir. You’ll be passionate about solid object-oriented code design, investigating emerging web technologies and building highly scalable microservices as a platform for the future of BBC News.
Your team will own the design and build of tools and services that keep our products running well - including build and deployment tools, config management, monitoring and reporting. You’ll provide capabilities as-a-service for other teams to use and be a centre of excellence for our use of Cloud technologies.
The right candidate will be someone with a strong interest for high quality coding and devops
who is quick and keen to learn and adapt and who enjoys iterating their ideas in an agile fashion working as part of a team.
Our website often gets 50 million hits in a day. Our mobile apps are used by millions. We’ve seen higher than 1.8 million concurrent users on our site and try to support every device we can, from simpler mobile phones to connected TVs. Our broadcast output is watched and listened to by people across the country and the world.
- Develop effective software that meets given specifications
- Review and give feedback on others’ code
- Write appropriate tests using automated test driven techniques for ensure code quality
- Integrate the software with monitoring and support tools
- Support system integration in its operating environment
- Write and review technical documentation
- Help to troubleshoot and resolve issues throughout the product life cycle, including out of hours support for incident resolution
- Participate in the team's agile planning and delivery process
- Effectively participate in the teams software development methodologies, such as pairing, code and documentation reviewing and continuous delivery
Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies
Are you the right candidate?
- Demonstrable experience writing and maintaining robust production software
- Competence in one or more mainstream development languages and frameworks
- Competence with one or more mainstream development and deployment tool chains (IDE, SCCS, CI)
- Knowledge of the web architecture and key technologies (HTTP, DNS, distributed design)
- Competence in test driven development and broader testing & QA concerns
- Competence in developing for operational concerns (monitoring integration, performance testing, security considerations)
- Experience of project working and professional software development processes, including agile
- Effective collaboration within a team – ability to speak up, challenge, agree and commit
- Experience in developing code in Ruby or Phython
- Experience of database design and use in software applications
- Takes responsibility for driving tasks to completion
- Understanding of designing & implementing for non-functional concerns
- Worked in a professional software development environment on several projects (including experience in testing, design and release)
- Experience of releasing their software to a production use case
- Participated in reviews and inspections of code (sat with a peer or someone more senior reviewing your code)
- Software Engineering or Computer Science Degree or equivalent
Contract type: Perm
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click http://www.bbc.co.uk/diversity/">here