- Sector: Financial Services and Investment
- Location: Perth and Kinross
- £36,900 to £56,500 per annum, annual bonus
- Hours: Full Time
- Contact: SSE Plc
Base Location: Perth
Salary: £36,900 - £56,500 depending on skills and experience + annual bonus
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time Flexible working patterns available 37 hours per week
About the Department
Our SSE Finance function has a key part to play in fulfilling SSEs obligations as a UK-listed company, providing expertise and services that can be shared across the SSE Group, and working in partnership with all businesses to provide services tailored to their specific needs. SSE operates in a highly regulated and increasingly competitive environment, and our role is to ensure that we gather, compile, analyse and recommend on the financial strategy for our businesses, identifying opportunities to drive efficiencies and create value for SSE now, and in the future.
What is the Role
The vision of SSE Thermal Energy is to be the leading provider of flexible thermal energy in a low-carbon world. This is an exciting time to join the team as Thermal adapts to new challenges and focuses on driving growth as we deliver new and enhanced flexible and efficient generation which is pivotal to protecting the energy network in the UK and Ireland now and in the future.
This is an excellent opportunity for an ambitious and technically strong Finance Manager to join the Finance Team. You will be business facing aligned to the Thermal Operations & Maintenance team who are responsible for all operations of our extensive fleet of generation assets in the UK and Ireland. The business has c450 full time employees delivering turnover of c£600m and operates in a complex and fast paced commercial and political arena.
Reporting directly to the Head of Finance Commercial and Operations and offers exposure to senior colleagues across the business. You will be the key Finance Business Partner for the business responsible for supporting the Directors in this area by providing financial expertise and insight to them and their wider team enabling informed business decisions.
Supporting the delivery of this role the Finance Manager will have line manger responsibility for a team of qualified and part qualified finance professionals.
Responsible for all accounting activities which will be delivered accurately and on time because of your excellent attention to detail, high quality ethic and limitless energy. You will also deliver a high level of financial control and challenge.
This is a varied, flexible and challenging role with primary responsibilities including:
- Team leadership in a highly technical, operational and problem-solving environment.
- Period end close including review, challenge and insight into results, applying expert knowledge of financial and management accounting in addition to applying strong commercial and industry knowledge.
- Support Accountants and Finance Analysts in the preparation of journals and reports for timely review of the P&L and BS using judgement to highlight and investigate key and unexpected variances
- Strong financial control driving best in class performance and ensuring a rigorous financial control framework is always applied with timely and accurate completion of all control account reconciliations using judgement to highlight and investigate key and unexpected variances.
- Responsible for completion of statutory reporting including preparation of highly technical and/or judgemental areas with little guidance
- Strategic business planning including owning the 5-year mode, annual budgeting and forecasting, co-ordinating completion including stakeholder sign off, providing financial insight and challenge to ensure targets are accurate, ambitious and realistic. Lead external and internal audit activities as required ensuring effective engagement and capturing the value add
What do I need?
To be successful in this role you will be a qualified accountant with post qualified experience in a Finance Manager business-interfacing role with knowledge of solving business issues of similar scale and complexity.
Capable of developing, motivating and leading a diverse, and potentially multi-locational team and be an effective communicator comfortable interpreting and assimilating multiple data sources, including external market data, and rendering meaningful insight relating to financial performance to non-finance operational colleagues.
Strong technical knowledge and understanding of SSE equivalent financial systems and general accounting procedures as well as being proficient in MS Office applications (particularly excel)
Were committed to ensuring we offer our people a great place to work, with competitive salary, contributory pension plan and benefits package. Why not watch our short employee benefits video to see what else is on offer?
For more information about this role, or to discuss any adjustments you require to submit your application please get in touch with myself
We all have different skills here at SSE and that's what makes us stand out. We all take pride in a job well done and share the belief that an inclusive culture is key to our success and vision for the future. Above all, safety is at the heart of everything we do at SSE and we live by the mantra 'if its not safe, we don't do it.
SSE is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.