- Sector: Construction, Trades and Property
- Specialism: Site Management
- Location: Lochgilphead
- Hours: Full Time
- Contact: Recruitment Team
- Reference: UK14341
About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Site Based Design Engineer to join our Power Transmission & Distribution business based in Lochguilphead, Scotland.
The Site-based Design Engineer role is primarily site-based. The purpose of the role is to act as a focal point and coordinator for engineering issues on site, ensuring that the project receives satisfactory design in accordance with the project imperatives.
What you'll be doing
On a day to day basis you will be responsible for the following:-
- Acting as a Design Engineer as directed by the relevant Professional Excellence Manager or Design Delivery Manager, and as set out in the relevant job description;
- Understanding and identifying project requirements for design and agree a division of responsibilities for design work with the PDM;
- Acting as the focal point for the project for all design activities on a project, managing the programme, reporting and identifying critical activities;
- Understanding changing project imperatives, including programme, cost and scope, and ensuring these are understood by the relevant personnel in the Engineering Department;
- Providing support to ensure that site works are carried out in accordance with the design and to an appropriate quality;
- Acting as the Principal Designers representative, if appropriately trained and appointed;
- Liaising with Temporary Works Supervisors and the Temporary Works Coordinator to ensure that Temporary Works requirements are identified and communicated to the Temporary Works Designers in a timely manner and with the appropriate supporting information;
- Ensuring that the project is in possession of the latest design information, documents and drawings and that their status is understood;
- Identifying project change and drawing this to the attention of the Project Manager and PDM;
- Attending client and site meetings as a representative of the Engineering Department or project as appropriate;
- Ensuring site information, including soil investigation and survey data, required to carry out the design is provided to the design team in a timely manner and to an appropriate quality;
- Specifying, monitoring and providing technical guidance for the gathering of site information for use in design;
- Ensuring designs and drawings produced on site comply with the relevant Engineering Department procedures;
- Undertaking other such duties as may be required by the Project Manager, Professional Excellence Manager, PDM or Design Delivery Manager;
Producing a weekly report on the projects main issues impacting on scope, programme, quality, risk and other relevant matters;
- Attending the weekly coordination and update meeting / phone call for discussion of the projects progress and main issues affecting delivery.
Who we're looking for
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our skilled and dedicated teams deliver a range of proactive and reactive services which support a reliable and safe supply of power flowing to millions of homes and businesses around the world. Our contracts range from GBP50,000 schemes to GBP100 million plus major projects.
Our people are our biggest asset and we focus on recruiting, training and developing the people who can apply innovation to deliver the infrastructure of the future. We nurture these talents, offer a great benefits package and continually invest in developing the skills of our people at every level.
Balfour Beattys Power Transmission & Distribution teams work with regional, national and international electricity network owners and operators to provide technical engineering solutions.
With experience and expertise across the full spectrum of the electricity grid our teams have capability across overhead lines, cable tunnels, distribution networks and substations.
From scoping and feasibility, to design, construction and on-going maintenance, our in-house experts, flexible resources and industry-leading innovations support clients in the development of some of the worlds most ambitious power transmission and distribution projects.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.