Glasgow Life is the charity providing the support, inspiration and opportunity for Glasgow’s citizens to access the services that matter most to them. Working across museums, the arts, music, sport, world-class events, festivals, libraries, community facilities, and physical activity, learning and heritage programmes; the scale and reach of our activity makes a real and positive impact on the lives of Glasgow’s residents and creates unforgettable experiences for our visitors.
As Community Services Officer you’ll empower communities and individuals through local learning, capacity building, community engagement and community development programmes, projects and initiatives.
• Manage and oversee one of the Areas of Focus (Youth, Early Years, Adult, Venue Development or Volunteering and Community Engagement) within respective Geographic Communities Team. Line manage in line with Area of Focus responsibilities respective staff team of Community Service Supervisors, Learning Tutors, Learning Assistants or/and Glasgow Life Assistants.
• Produce local development and venue plans that actively engage with new and existing audiences and enable and support the service areas strategic objectives e.g. Cultural Hubs
• Effectively prioritise, plan and implement your own work remit including the management of any designated budgets as well as managing and motivating staff by providing ongoing support and supervision, training and development opportunities and performance management
• Monitor and review the performance and quality of local programmes and projects ensuring that standards, processes and procedures are adhered to and that targets and outcomes are reached.
• Ensure the local engagement of customers, groups, stakeholders and partners to ensure appropriate local service delivery that meets the needs of the local community.
• Contribute to the design, commissioning and local delivery of appropriate learning programmes that reflect the needs and develop the capacity of individuals and community groups, by working collaboratively with learning co-ordinators and colleagues within wider communities, learning and libraries team.
• Assist and lead on any local ad hoc projects as required
To be successful in this role you have the following skills and experience:
• Experience of working within a Community Development setting, and taking a Community Learning and Development approach; Experience of Managing a staff team; Experience of working with volunteers and support processes; Experience of partnership working; Experience of management or oversight of a venue; Experience in designing, delivering and quality assurance of a range of progammes
This role is part time, 21 hours per week, and is temporary for up to 2 years.
Current Glasgow Life Employees:
At the end of the temporary period, eligible employees will have a right to return to a role of their substantive grade within the council family as a minimum. Employees are required to inform their current manager prior to submitting an application.
We believe in the transformational power of the services we provide for the citizens and visitors of Glasgow, and if you want to be a part of it, we’d love to hear from you.
In return we can offer a generous holiday allowance of 29 days (rising to 34 days after 5 years), plus 6.5 public holidays. You will also be eligible to join the Strathclyde pension fund, one of the largest local authority pension providers in the UK. Additional staff benefits include staff discounts, annual leave purchase scheme, flexible retirement and family friendly policies.
At Glasgow Life we value diversity and inclusion. We are particularly interested in receiving applications from BAME groups who are currently under represented in our organisation.
Membership of the Protection of Vulnerable Groups Scheme will be essential on taking up appointment. Please note successful candidates for the above position will be required to pay for their PVG Membership/or Scheme Checks.Application Packs
Alternative Application Packs can be requested in other formats for example, Large Print, Braille, Audio and other languages. To request an alternative Application Pack please phone 0141 287 1054.
Packs will be posted out to you within 3 working days of receiving your telephone request.
Please note the closing date of the job advert to ensure that you give yourself plenty of time to complete your application form and return it to us.Further Information
For further information about working for us please refer to our website https://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/work-with-us
Applications must be made online at myjobscotland.gov.uk