About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Cable System Design Engineer to join our Power Transmission & Distribution business based in Motherwell.
- The position involves carrying out the design of high voltage and extra high voltage power cable systems with detailed design information, initially to allow cost estimating of proposed systems and following receipt of an order to carry out the contract engineering.
What you'll be doing
As a Cable System Design Engineer you will be:
- Preparing designs and drawings for cable supporting steelwork and associated foundations, carrying out loading calculations to prove the adequacy of proposed designs, ?A. the design of cable installation systems, carrying out pulling tension calculations;
- Liaising with fabricators and equipment suppliers;
- Reading Client enquiry specifications and drawings;
- Liaising with Client Representatives and Balfour Beatty Estimators and Operations Engineers as required;
- Attending site visits and meetings with clients and / or Balfour Beatty staff;
- Preparing electrical system designs;
- Calculating cable sizes;
- Performing rating calculations;
- Preparing material schedules/bills of quantities;
- Working to international, national and client specifications;
- Liaising with suppliers/manufacturers;
- Performing hydraulic calculations;
- Identifying designs where standard design rules and procedures cannot be applied, and referring these to the SPDE and / or DM;
- Liaising with draughts persons and other engineering staff;
- Checking of work carried out by draughts persons and other Design Engineers;
- Liaising with the SPDE / DM and other Design Engineers as required resolving civil, structural, installation etc. design issues;
- Carrying out design risk assessments in accordance with CDM requirements and prepare and present Health & Safety files.
Who we're looking for
Personal Qualities and Experience:
- Degree level qualifications in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering;
- Experience and knowledge of EHV (11kV to 400kV) power systems and equipment and ideally EHV power cables and substation equipment;
- Knowledge of substation electrical design;
- Ability to interpret engineering drawings and circuit schematics;
- Understanding of cable installation techniques;
- Able to work under pressure and to tight deadlines;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and highly organised;
- Accurate methodical and articulate;
- Good communication skills;
- Possesses the ability to use AutoCAD;
- Holds a full UK driving licence.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our skilled and dedicated teams deliver a range of proactive and reactive services which support a reliable and safe supply of power flowing to millions of homes and businesses around the world. Our contracts range from GBP50,000 schemes to GBP100 million plus major projects.
Our people are our biggest asset and we focus on recruiting, training and developing the people who can apply innovation to deliver the infrastructure of the future. We nurture these talents, offer a great benefits package and continually invest in developing the skills of our people at every level.
Balfour Beattys Power Transmission & Distribution teams work with regional, national and international electricity network owners and operators to provide technical engineering solutions.
With experience and expertise across the full spectrum of the electricity grid our teams have capability across overhead lines, cable tunnels, distribution networks and substations.
From scoping and feasibility, to design, construction and on-going maintenance, our in-house experts, flexible resources and industry-leading innovations support clients in the development of some of the worlds most ambitious power transmission and distribution projects.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
We can't find any similar jobs at the moment.