- Sector: Construction, Trades and Property, Engineering and Technical
- Location: Perth and Kinross
- £38,600 to £58,000 per annum, Car/Cash Allowance and Annual Bonus
- Hours: Full Time
- Contact: SSE Plc
Location: Aberdeen, Glasgow, Inverness or Perth
Salary: £38,600 - £58,000 depending on skills and experience + car/cash allowance + annual bonus
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time Hours with flexible working patterns available 37 hours
About the Department
Transmission operates under licence as Scottish Hydro Electric (SHE) Transmission plc, responsible for the transmission of electricity in the north of Scotland. We own and maintain the 132kV, 275kV and 400kV electricity transmission network in our licence area. Our network comprises of underground cables, overhead wooden poles, steel towers and electricity substations, and it extends over a quarter of the UK land mass across some of its most challenging terrain.
The Technical Authority Manager role supports the Policy & Standards Team within Transmission to provide clear technical guidance and governance for Projects, Transmission Planning, Operations and Asset Management. This team is the single point of contact for technical policy and specification based decisions, and is separate from the traditional Engineering function.
Reflecting the level of reliability required on the network, this team is required to cover all critical areas of expertise for effective operation of the SHE Transmission network, in accordance with governing requirements such as the Grid Code and SQSS
The main purpose of the role is to manage the Technical Authority function for SHE Transmission to ensure all technology, plant and equipment used on the network is assessed independently from projects to ensure it is robust and fit for purpose. Value and consistency of equipment used on the network shall also be considered.
As the Technical Authority Manager you'll;
- Manage the Technical Authority status of all technology, plant and equipment installed or proposed to be installed on the SHE Transmission network.
- Maintain a register of the Technical Authority status of all technology, plant and equipment installed or proposed to be installed on the SHE Transmission network and all technology, plant and equipment deemed unsuitable for use following evaluation.
- Manage the assessment of all proposed technology, plant and equipment, co-ordinating technical input from Subject Matter Experts, external consultants and suppliers as required.
- Work with project teams to identify Technical Authority assessment requirements for projects and manage the programme for assessment to meet the project timescales.
- Manage the creation of assessment criteria and inspection and test plans by Subject Matter Experts, consultants and suppliers for all technology, plant and equipment to be assessed.
- Manage the creation and approval of Technical Authority Reports.
- Regularly review the Technical Authority approval status of all technology, plant and equipment with Operations, Asset Management and Subject Matter Experts to determine if any approval should be modified or removed based on in service performance. This will include a review of Operational Restrictions and Defect Notifications.
- Manage SHE Transmissions relationships with plant and equipment suppliers, regularly reviewing any changes to equipment approval status and any new technology, plant and equipment available on the market to identify any new products which could be of benefit to SHE Transmission.
- Liaise with the Innovation Manager and SMEs to determine which innovations require Technical Authority engagement and assessment.
- Manage SHE Transmissions relationship with other TOs in relation to technical approval of plant, sharing information where appropriate to improve efficiency of the approval process. Management of assessment process for any plant or equipment SHE Transmission sponsor as part of the ENA Approval process.
Your Skills and Experience
The ideal candidate for this role will have:
- A degree in a relevant engineering discipline or equivalent, relevant experience.
- Strong organisation and project management skills.
- Ability to plan, programme and manage multiple test and assurance workstreams undertaken by consultants and suppliers.
- Ability to prioritise workload to achieve demanding targets and deadlines.
- Good understanding of plant and equipment testing methods and standards.
- Computer skills - in particular spreadsheets, databases and project management tools.
- Ability to communicate effectively and to prepare clear and concise reports, including conclusions and clear recommendations.
- Strong interpersonal skills as the role interacts across broad areas of the business and at multiple levels.
- Strong presentation, oral and written communication skills.
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of a range of SHE Transmission, National Grid, British and European Standards.
This role will involve travel therefore a full, current driving licence is required.
We're committed to ensuring we offer our people a great place to work, with competitive salary, contributory pension plan and benefits package. Why not watch our short employee benefits video to see what else is on offer?
For more information about this role, or to discuss any adjustments you require to submit your application please get in touch at sse.
Please be aware if you're successful, you'll be required to complete our pre-employment screening process before joining SSE.
We all have different skills here at SSE and that's what makes us stand out. We all take pride in a job well done and share the belief that an inclusive culture is key to our success and vision for the future. Above all, safety is at the heart of everything we do at SSE and we live by the mantra 'if it's not safe, we don't do it.'
SSE is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.