- Sector: Engineering and Technical
- Location: Inverness
- £52,800 to £79,200 per annum,
- Hours: Full Time
- Contact: SSE Plc
Base Location: Inverness
Salary: £52,800 - £79,200 depending on skills and experience + car/cash allowance + annual bonus; relocation allowance will be considered
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time with Flexible working patterns available | 37 hours
About the Department
Transmission operates under licence as Scottish Hydro Electric (SHE) Transmission plc, responsible for the transmission of electricity in the north of Scotland. We own and maintain the 132kV, 275kV and 400kV electricity transmission network in our licence area. Our network comprises of underground cables, overhead wooden poles, steel towers and electricity substations, and it extends over a quarter of the UK land mass across some of its most challenging terrain.
What is the Role
SHE Transmission is looking to recruit Lead Project Managers for the delivery of the Shetland HVDC Link Project from April 2020. The positions present an opportunity to join the Transmission business in SSE at a time of rapid growth as we look to connect Shetland with the mainland grid for the first time.
As Lead Project Manager (Cables), you'll be responsible for leading a team of Project Managers to successfully deliver a portfolio of allocated contracts valuing in excess of £100M to cost, quality and time. Reporting into the Project Director, you'll work closely with the Transmission Management Team to ensure projects are refined, constructed and commissioned in line with the Transmission Business Plan and required regulatory outputs. You will lead in the manufacturing, installation, testing and commissioning of 260km of subsea HVDC cables between landfall points at Noss Head on the Scottish mainland and Weisdale Voe on the Shetland Isles, plus 12km of HVDC land cables split between each onshore location.
You'll be given a wide-span of responsibilities including;
- Managing a multi-disciplinary team of individuals with specialisms in engineering, construction, planning/scheduling, commercial, risk, quality, health and safety, land and wayleaves, legal, communications and engagement, environment and administration/document control; this team will also be based at a variety of locations.
- Ensure a high level of site presence from the project teams during the construction phase, and work to ensure all project team members (including contractors) are supported and developed to safely, sustainably and efficiently deliver projects.
- Represent the Transmission business and projects across the SSE business and externally to a wide range of stakeholders.
- Build and maintain productive and enduring relationships with Contractors, Stakeholders, Communities and the public to support the sustainable delivery of the projects that you are responsible for.
- Ensure compliance with all legal, regulatory and internal regulations, processes and governance
You'll be required to travel to Wick and Shetland on a regular basis during land cable installation works and landing point installation works. Travel to other SSE Offices in the UK and delivery partner offices and factories in Europe will also occasionally be required.
What do I need?
To ensure you get the most from your role, we ask that you have experience in our industry, of construction, and ideally specific knowledge of electricity networks. Specific knowledge of the SHE Transmission business would be preferable but is not necessary. You'll have worked in a similar role before and have vast experience of managing large capital projects and large teams. Furthermore, you'll understand and have experience of the reporting and management requirements that come with that. In addition, you'll be a strong leader, with an ability to lead a multi-discipline team to success.
You'll have previous experience in Offshore and Onshore cable installation practices including; protection measures, crossing of 3rd party assets, jointing requirements and testing and commissioning of HVDC cable systems, preferably in remote terrain including ground with peat protection requirements for the HVDC cables.
Were committed to ensuring we offer our people a great place to work, with competitive salary, contributory pension plan and benefits package. Why not watch our short employee benefits video to see what else is on offer?
If you're successful, well conduct some pre-employment checks.
For more information about this role, or to discuss any adjustments you require to submit your application please get in touch at sse.
We all have different skills here at SSE and that's what makes us stand out. We all take pride in a job well done and share the belief that an inclusive culture is key to our success and vision for the future. Above all, safety is at the heart of everything we do at SSE and we live by the mantra 'if its not safe, we don't do it'. SSE is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
We can't find any similar jobs at the moment.