- Contact: Douglas McLean
- Reference: AVIE03320
Job Title: Seasonal Hostel and Catering Assistant
Location: Aviemore Youth Hostel, 25 Grampian Road, Aviemore, PH22 1PR
Contract: Fixed term from 06/Apr/20 until 13/Sep/20
Hours per week: 32 hours per week
Salary Details: £8.21 per hour (£8.72 per hour wef Apr/20)
Accommodation: Live-in accommodation available (Please note that there will be a small weekly charge.)
We are one of Scotland’s leading accommodation providers, providing affordable and welcoming accommodation and excellent customer service in some of the finest locations in Scotland.
We are also self-funding charity operating for the benefit of all those wishing to learn and experience what Scotland has to offer. Our youth development and volunteering programmes also provides young people, who otherwise wouldn’t have the opportunity, the chance to discover Scotland’s heritage, and enable them to develop their skills for learning, life and work.
Working with Hostelling Scotland is more than just a job. Join our team to become an Ambassador for Scotland and to make a difference!
We are currently looking for a self-motivated and enthusiastic individual who wishes to join our dedicated and friendly team at our Aviemore Youth Hotel to provide a high standard of guest care.
The main responsibility of this post:
- Basic food preparation, washing & tidying up, food hygiene and serving
- Deliver a high quality food service for our guests including looking after the catering operation in the absence of the Group Manager under their direction
- Assisting the Hostel Manager in the day to day running of the Youth Hostel as and when required, including reception duties, cash handling, customer enquiries, cleaning and housekeeping.
Suitable candidates will:
- Have previous experience within the hospitality industry with strong catering/ food preparation experience, understanding of the importance of food hygiene practice and a basic food hygiene certificate.
- Have flexibility and adaptability as well as a can-do attitude, and the ability to work under pressure
- Have an ability to work as an effective team member as well as unsupervised
Be self-motivated and conscientious as our team at Aviemore Youth Hostel is small and on occasion you may be working on your own. You will receive full induction training and support from the Group Manager.
- Be committed to provide high standards of customer service in line with our customer service charter and ethos.
- Have understanding of the importance of health and safety at work.
- Have attention to detail, be able to learn on the job and be willing to take direction.
- A good knowledge of the local and surrounding area would also be advantage to be able to deliver first class guest information and help with travel planning as well as giving our guests inspiration on how to make the most of their stay in the area.
Notes: The role would involve some degree of physical activities such as making/stripping beds, turning mattress over on bunk beds, etc.
We can offer:
- A supportive and friendly working environment where everyone can perform to the best of their abilities, is treated with respect and health, safety and wellbeing of people is paramount
- Great training and development opportunities, including full induction training
- Employee benefits including discount on Hostelling Scotland accommodation to be able to travel Scotland
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Uniform provided
Cooksafe and qualification such as SVQ/NVQ in catering or food preparation would be advantage.
The successful candidate is required to provide two satisfactory references and a Basic Disclosure.
How to apply:
For further information about this role, including job description, application form or find out how we process applicants personal information, please visit our website
If you think you have the skills and experience to match our requirements please forward an application form with covering letter to: Douglas McLean, Cairngorm Group Manager, Aviemore YH, Grampian Road, Aviemore, PH22 1PR
Closing Date: 24/Feb/20
Please note Hostelling Scotland operates a policy where only successful applicants will be contacted. If you do not hear from us within two weeks of closing date you have not been shortlisted on this occasion.
Hostelling Scotland has a commitment to Equal Opportunities and Diversity.
Scottish Youth Hostels Association, also known as Hostelling Scotland is a registered Scottish charity, No. SC013138 and a company limited by guarantee, registered in Scotland, No. SC310841, Registered Office 7 Glebe Crescent, Stirling FK8 2JA.
We can't find any similar jobs at the moment.