The Day One Intelligence Team (DOIT) is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join an engineering team in Edinburgh as part of a strategic investment to build technology that will enable Amazon to adopt the most scientific approach to Global Talent Management. DOIT builds intelligent products and services that offer a consumer grade user experience and use science to manage talent development at Amazon by embracing our leadership principles culture. Our engineering teams include big data engineering, machine learning, micro-service software development, front-end software development, and user experience design. In DOIT we are building the intelligence that will enable Amazon to retain its unique “Day One” company culture whilst growing its talent base in excess of 1 Million employees.
Find out more about our teams and locations here: https://www.amazon.jobs/en/landing_pages/doit
As a Senior Software Engineer you will lead a team of engineers and designers responsible for the development of our product and services that implement our 3-year vision. You will invent and develop a framework for the future of Talent Management at Amazon that enables a modern, mobile-first website experience for hundreds of thousands of employees. Are you passionate about delivering a consistent, accessible, inclusive employee experience? DOIT, come invent with us!
You will join our community of engineers and designers and contribute to defining and raising technical standards across the DOIT organization. You will work on Amazon’s hardest problems. You will exert technical vision and will build highly scalable, architecturally sound solutions that are aligned with our business needs. You will possess a unique blend of technical breadth and depth, paired with excellent communication and collaboration skills.
Amazon is a place where builders can build. You will work with the latest technologies including Java micro-services in a distributed service-oriented architecture, AWS, NoSQL, React, and Typescript, to create delightful user experiences for our customers at a global scale. You will be responsible for our web technology stacks and front-end development lifecycle, demonstrating best practices in web application architecture and design, and work to ensure high standards in usability, accessibility and performance of our products.
You will lead a sustainable paced agile team and will play a technical hands on leadership role in your team giving you the responsibility, authority and ownership to ensure success. You will have a system-wide, architectural view of the solutions that you build. You will be involved in every aspect of the process - from idea generation, business requirements and technical design through to software development using the latest technologies and design patterns. Your systems will meet remarkably high standards of performance and reliability, and will operate at massive scale, 24x7.
Come join a team full of very capable people who come from all over the world. Enjoy the chance to work in a relaxed setting with a good social life. The team based in Edinburgh, Scotland is rapidly expanding. Successful candidates will have strong technical ability, a focus on the customer experience, great teamwork and communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment.
The position offers exceptional opportunities for every candidate to grow their technical and non-technical skills. If you are selected, you have the opportunity to really make a difference to our business by inventing, enhancing and building world class systems while working on exciting and innovative projects.
· Computer Science Honours degree (2:1 or better) or another technical degree or postgraduate study. In lieu of degree, relevant skills and equivalent experience.
· Able to demonstrate knowledge of algorithms, data-structures, efficiency, concurrency, performance optimization, object-oriented development and design patterns.data structures, algorithms, and strong problem solving skills.
· Experience of technically leading at least 1-2 software engineering teams through the full SDLC in an Agile environment
· You actively lead code reviews, design reviews, automated testing, whiteboard discussions, back-of-the-napkin designs at lunch, and random chats in the hallway about awesome ideas.
· Experience taking a leading role in designing, building and implementing complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers, including understanding of OS fundamentals, cloud computing, and large-scale and high-availability distributed architectures.
· Experience leading & influencing software engineering best practices within your team and across others for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
· Experience mentoring software engineers to improve their skills, and make them more effective, product software engineers
· Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
· Understand view layout and rendering technologies (e.g., responsiveness, progressive enhancement, browser/device support). Know when it is appropriate to make graceful fallbacks.
· Understand the importance of testing front-end components and has experience with creating unit and integration tests related to the front-end components they develop.
· Experience using Amazon Web Services (AWS) desirable
· Able to demonstrate knowledge of front-end system design, interaction with backend APIs, and performance/security considerations.
· Able to solve difficult software and UX problems with some ambiguity. Pushes for information to avoid solving the wrong problem and mitigate UI risks early in the process to avoid feature delays. Can decompose a problem into clear software and UX design actions.
· Experience delivering front-end software that is accessibility compliant (WCAG 2.1 AA)
· Understand how to optimize the delivery of code and assets (e.g., images, fonts) to a browser or device (e.g., lazy loading assets, using CDNs, caching, compression, etc.).
· Understand how to be efficient with resource usage (e.g., application impact on memory and CPU, caches appropriately, respectful of customer’s devices, etc.).
· Experience building and using with design systems
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on objective criteria including your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. We welcome applications from all sections of society irrespective of colour, race, religion or belief, nationality, ethnic or national origin, gender, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, sex, marital status, disability, age or trade union membership. Please let us know if you have any special requirements in relation to this recruitment process.