The DOIT organisation is looking for a Software Development Manager to join our team in Edinburgh as part of a strategic investment to build technology that will enable Amazon to adopt the most scientific approach to Global Talent Management. DOIT builds intelligent products and services that offer a consumer grade user experience and use science to manage talent development at Amazon by embracing our leadership principles culture. In DOIT we are building the intelligence that will enable Amazon to retain its unique “Day One” company culture whilst growing its talent base in excess of 1 million employees.Want to lead a team to design and build systems that all Amazonians will use? Do you enjoy leading teams of engineers and designers working on innovative, high-scale, complex, international solutions? Do you enjoy end-to-end responsibility, working on business ideas as well as technology, software engineering and operations? Have you ever wanted to make a meaningful impact to the daily lives of hundreds of thousands of people? Are you a design system aficionado? Come be part of a team that will directly shape and influence the future growth of every employee at Amazon.
Our mission is to create innovative and inclusive experiences which empower Amazonians to own their careers. We are a growing team team located in Edinburgh, Scotland. We're dedicated to transforming HR products and experiences for employees throughout their career at Amazon. Our team is seeking a highly motivated Software Development Manager who will help guide a world class in-house team of designers, engineers and technologists. You'll work closely with key stakeholders, design and product partners to deliver innovative solutions that hundreds of thousands of Amazonians use every.
Successful candidates will have a background in software development, most likely with a Computer Science degree. You will be detail-driven, numerate and have excellent problem solving abilities. You should be a confident people manager with a track record of growing high performance teams.
You will have a system-wide, architectural view of the solutions that your team build. You will be involved in every aspect of the process - from idea generation, business analysis, research and technical design through to software development management using the latest technologies and design patterns. The systems you contribute to will meet remarkably high standards of performance and reliability, and will operate at massive scale, 24x7.
Come join a team full of talented people, who come from all over the world. Enjoy the chance to work in a relaxed setting with a good social life. The team based in Edinburgh, Scotland is rapidly expanding. Successful candidates will have strong technical ability, a focus on the customer experience, great teamwork and communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment.
We are looking for Software Development Managers who can delight our customers by continually learning and inventing. Our ideal candidate is an experienced Software Development Manager who has a track-record of performing analysis and applying statistical techniques to solve real business problems, who has great leadership and communication skills, and who is motivated to achieve results in a fast-paced environment. The position offers an exceptional opportunity to grow your technical and non-technical skills and make a real difference to Amazonians worldwide.
The position offers exceptional opportunities for every candidate to grow their technical and non-technical skills. If you are selected, you have the opportunity to really make a difference to people's lives in our business by inventing, enhancing and building world class systems, delivering results, working on exciting and challenging projects.
You must be able to:
· Be a credible Agile/Scrum/Lean/Kanban engineering leader for a team of high-performing software engineers.
· Partner with colleagues across the company (and across the world) to define and deliver complex features.
· Lead the delivery of large, complex projects.
· Anticipate bottlenecks, escalate as needed, balance business needs versus technical constraints.
· Actively manage risks and issues.
· Write effectively, sharing relevant project updates, plans and metrics with stakeholders.
· You will have significant experience in software engineering development and team lead roles, including line management.
· You will hold a Computer Science Honours degree (2:1 or better) or have undertaken postgraduate study (applicants with a degree in a related discipline who have demonstrated a strong grounding in Computer Science and experience in Software Engineering will also be considered).
· Prior experience of software development and a solid grounding in Computer Science, including algorithms, data structures, operating systems, programming languages and distributed systems.
· Experience with modern software development practices including automated testing, refactoring, continuous integration and continuous deployment.
· Experience leading the delivery of large, cross-team projects.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Experience analyzing business and operational metrics.
· Experience leading the development of design frameworks or SDKs
· Advanced quantitative analytical abilities.
· Experience delivering complex projects in partnership with remote colleagues.
· Experience as a business leader.
· Experience managing, or working closely with designers.
We offer a highly competitive salary, and other excellent benefits including healthcare. This is your opportunity to develop a rewarding career, work in a unique environment, and be part of a passionate and international team to work hard, have fun and make history!
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills.
All offers are conditional on references, verification of the right to work in the UK, and a successful background screening check. This check will include previous employment verification, qualification verification (if relevant) and a basic criminal check. Further details of this policy and procedure will be sent to you along with your conditional offer.