Lochside based (with ability to frequently work remotely)
Credit Risk ensure the bank lends within agreed risk appetite, which is set by the Bank’s board. This is achieved via management of credit risk strategies using scorecards and policies both for managing risk at point of application and account management. There are 5 teams within Credit Risk who perform distinct tasks:
- Portfolio Management – Management of credit risk strategies – who to lend to and how much.
- Risk Modelling – Build and monitor Credit Risk models to help to decide who we accept and how we measure bad debt.
- Provisioning and Forecasting – use models to estimate the bad debt requirements. Forecast bad debt for business planning and for capital management purposes.
- Systems – Maintain the IT systems which contain credit risk and financial crime strategy and logic and manage the change process for those systems.
- Independent Model oversight – Oversee the bank’s model universe ensuring models are built in line with the model policy.
While you will report into the Edinburgh-based Credit Risk Manager, you can be based anywhere in the UK – including our existing Bolton or Milton Keynes offices, or even based remotely from home - with occasional travel to our Edinburgh office expected.
You’ll be highly numerate with a degree in a relevant discipline and ideally have some exposure within credit risk. We’re open to level of experience, so whether you’re looking for your next step or at the start of your career, we’d love to hear from you!
As a Senior Analyst in the Credit Cards Portfolio Management team, you will:
- Develop credit risk policy - designing and developing credit decision logic for Sainsbury’s Bank lending products, and supporting with its implementation.
- Lead relationships with Business areas to keep abreast of new business initiatives and proactively highlight any potential Credit Risk impacts.
- Identify potential risk management opportunities through data mining of the Sainsbury’s Bank’s data platforms.
- Provide advice and add value to business projects requiring risk management input.
- Be proactive and creative in dealing with issues identified within projects.
- Present a concise summary of results to relevant working groups / committees.
- Liaise with key suppliers and industry forums, including attending benchmarking groups, to ensure Sainsbury’s Bank have a wide knowledge of the tools and techniques being used within the industry
- Keep abreast of research techniques, attend academic forums and evaluate the benefits that new credit risk practices / techniques may bring to risk management practices.
- Keep abreast of relevant regulatory and legislative changes.
- Highly numerate with a degree in a relevant discipline (or equivalent experience), some exposure within credit risk, and a knowledge of retail lending would be beneficial.
- Experience and competence in the use of computer based software statistical packages (e.g. SAS, R, Python or SQL) and/or similar data mining packages.
- Previous coding experience would be an advantage.
- Well organised, able to prioritise workload and work effectively under pressure and ability to work accurately to tight deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Able to convey technical issues to non –technical colleagues.
- Good problem solving skills and first class attention to detail, with an ability to think and reason logically.
- Excellent team player with ability to work closely with others to deliver results.
- Customer focused with a proven track record of working on own initiative, with the ability to introduce fresh thinking to the role and the wider team.
In addition to the all- important competitive salary, pension & bonus offering, we totally get that life outside work is important to us all. So we want to shout out some of our other great benefits…
- We offer flexible working to help you achieve a good work/life balance
- Opportunity to buy extra holidays is on the table
- Discounts on your weekly shop, buying a laptop or sofa? We’ve got it covered through your Sainsburys, Argos and Habitat store discount card
- Cycle to work scheme and great coffee and cake!
The individual performing this role is expected to adhere to conduct rules as specified by our regulators (PRA and FCA).
We’re proud of our heritage as the UK’s first supermarket bank. As digital technology drives the banking landscape we want to be at the cutting edge of this technology, offering award winning innovative digital banking products to our customers.
Technology is where we see our growth therefore we need innovators to join us and drive the next phase of our evolution.
We’re a friendly bunch who collectively share a passion to make our customers’ financial lives easier. As part of the wider Sainsbury’s Group, being one of the UK’s most trusted brands, it brings our colleagues a wealth of opportunities to fulfil their potential.
Here, you can be part of something bigger and help to create a new approach that puts the customer at the heart of everything we do.
Everyone is welcome at the Sainsbury’s Group, and we’re proud to be an equal opportunities employer that champions a diverse and inclusive culture that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve. If you’re interested in applying and are excited about working with us, but are unsure if you have the right skills and experience – we’d still love to hear from you! Apply today and we’ll be in touch (we’re also happy to discuss flexible working options (including part time)).
As this role involves working within a regulated environment any offer will be subject to satisfactory background checks including criminal record check, credit check, fraud check and employment references.