About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Project Engineer to join our Power Transmission & Distribution business based in Kyle of Lochalsh/ Fort William/ Inverness.
- To support and promote a collaborative working environment which ensures client, internal and other stakeholders requirements are effectively managed and employees feel motivated and engaged to deliver;
- To support in the winning of a number of projects in accordance with the Power T&D Strategic Plan as necessary.
What you'll be doing
On a day to day basis you will be responsible for:
- Supporting the Senior Project Manager/Project Manager to work collaboratively with the Contract Managers and Support Functions to deliver your project(s) and enhance solid working relationships as one team across the business;
- Supporting the Senior Project Manager/Project Manager in planning, controlling and managing the delivery of project your project(s) utilising the necessary resource and skills, within the agreed parameters of cost, timescales and quality;
- Preparing Method Statements, Risk Assessments and Task briefings to ensure a Safe System of Work;
- Instilling a strong safety culture and develop the capability of our project team(s) to take personal responsibility through strong visible leadership;
- Reporting all accidents, dangerous occurrences and near miss incidents onto the company system;
- Driving yourself and others to comply with all business policies, procedures and governance;
- Ensuring that all works are carried out in line with CDM and Temporary Works regulations;
- Supporting the Senior Project Manager/Project Manager lead on developing a high-performance culture of one team;
- Talking positively and listen actively across the business and the people within it;
- Supporting of the tender process;
- Constantly seeking out talent for the future;
- Supporting the Senior Project Manager/Project Manager in the day to day management of client expectations whilst promoting the value we bring.
Who we're looking for
Personal Qualities and Experience:
- Experience of supporting delivery of Delivery of Overhead Line, schemes up to 400kV preferable;
- Knowledge and experience of Project Management methodology;
- Strong People Management;
- Commercial awareness with knowledge of both budgetary and Financial control;
- Excellent relationship management skills;
- Ability to work across conflicting interest groups to develop solutions to complex operational and commercial problems;
- Comfortable with ambiguity, able to tease out sensitive issues and lead cross functional teams towards solutions;
- Further Education in an Engineering Discipline (Desirable).
- Willingness to work in remote location for duration of project initially 2 years and potentially up to Dec 2026.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our skilled and dedicated teams deliver a range of proactive and reactive services which support a reliable and safe supply of power flowing to millions of homes and businesses around the world. Our contracts range from GBP50,000 schemes to GBP100 million plus major projects.
Our people are our biggest asset and we focus on recruiting, training and developing the people who can apply innovation to deliver the infrastructure of the future. We nurture these talents, offer a great benefits package and continually invest in developing the skills of our people at every level.
Balfour Beattys Power Transmission & Distribution teams work with regional, national and international electricity network owners and operators to provide technical engineering solutions.
With experience and expertise across the full spectrum of the electricity grid our teams have capability across overhead lines, cable tunnels, distribution networks and substations.
From scoping and feasibility, to design, construction and on-going maintenance, our in-house experts, flexible resources and industry-leading innovations support clients in the development of some of the worlds most ambitious power transmission and distribution projects.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.