About Aggreko plc:
Around the world, people, businesses and countries are striving for a better future. A future that needs power and the right conditions to succeed. That’s why at Aggreko, we work ‘round the clock, making sure our customers get the electricity, heating and cooling they need, whenever they need it – all powered by our trademark passion, unrivalled international experience and local knowledge. From urban development to unique commercial projects and even humanitarian emergencies, we bring our expertise and equipment to any location, from the world’s busiest cities to some of the most remote places on earth. Every project is different, so we listen first and design a system supported by our service anywhere, to any scale. Transforming the lives and livelihoods of individuals, organisations and communities across the globe.
To develop new and existing products to enhance the Aggreko product offering to a demanding, international customer base. Work within cross functional teams to ensure products are designed to high standards with respect to quality, functionality, reliability, manufacture, maintenance, safety and environmental performance
- Take ownership, as a professional engineer, for the development of new and existing products to improve their performance, operating efficiency, ease of manufacture, total cost of ownership, new needs in the market, maintainability, reliability, control, packaging or environmental qualities, or to extend the product range.
- Agree general approach, priorities and milestones with Product Manager. Plan and drive each task/project to complete to specification and on time. Report to Head of Engineering regularly on progress for Design Review Meetings.
- Design new products and product modifications using established engineering solutions and a knowledge of fundamental engineering principles.
- Work with key suppliers to ensure that the best use is made of available technologies/components. Select components, taking into account their technical specification and the cost of ownership over the full product lifecycle.
- Provide technical support for manufacturing, test and the operating companies. Establish a reputation for sound technical advice with the operating companies by working with them, from time to time, on their sites worldwide.
- Work with specialist engineers who may be brought in to advise the Technical Team.
- Ensure that product development and design work, including the selection/specification of components, meets Company engineering standards and good engineering practice.
- Arrange for Manufacturing to carry out the product modification and monitor progress to meet deadline.
- Design a test procedure, in conjunction with the Development Test Coordinator, to cover the full range of operating conditions, analyse results and carry out any further modifications required.
- As a member of the team, contribute to the future development plans and strategy for existing products and potential new product ranges.
- Prepare full records and documentation of product modifications and ensure that any work delegated elsewhere has been fully documented
Indicative performance measures:
- Deliver projects to specification, on time and to budget
- Deliver significant product improvements in line with business objectives
- Rapid professional development to progress within the organisation
- Positive impact on the drive and performance of the wider design team
- A degree in Mechanical Engineering (or equivalent).
- Experience in a design/development role.
- Understanding of Engineering processes and appreciation of the commercial constraints.
- Systems thinker who can envisage how a particular modification will have knock-on effects throughout the product.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure. Driven for results and sufficiently organised to be involved in a number of projects producing good quality work on time and within cost budget.
- Breadth of vision to balance the needs of reliability, maintainability and efficient performance within the commercial and packaging constraints. Ability to understand the needs of the end user.
- Thorough attention to detail and high technical integrity.
- Ability to quickly identify critical issues in a project. Ability to think ahead and to act on opportunities or problems.
- Good diagnostic skills and problem solving abilities.
- Flexibility to deal with fluctuating workload and a wide variety of problems from several sources. Capable of multi tasking effectively.
- Positive and enthusiastic attitude to engineering challenges, and flexibility to cope effectively with changes to specifications or priorities.
- Willing to take ownership of work delegated to others while allowing them sufficient freedom of action to make a full contribution.
- Team player who makes best use of the contributions that can be made by others, and has the ability to work constructively with others.
- Initiative to add value to projects assigned and good communication skills.
- Welcomes the opportunity to travel internationally to broaden experience and understanding.
We’re the people who use our big boxes to make a massive difference. We believe in the positive impact of power and the ability to control temperature. We believe what we do opens up opportunity and creates potential for individuals, communities, industries and societies over the world. We believe when we work together we can do anything. We believe in the power of our team. We’re the people who keep the lights on. And we recruit the best talent, too.
Our four values help us get even better at what we do. It’s the Aggreko way of working – we call it Always Orange.
Always Orange means:
Being dynamic: We’re nimble and are always ready to react to an ever changing world.
Being expert: We know our stuff, we’re great under pressure and we thrive in our busy, fast-paced, deadline-driven environment. We use our experience to make a difference. We know how to challenge and we have the courage of our convictions.
Being together: We play for Team Aggreko and value the expertise of everyone around us. We’re accountable and we hold others to account.
Being innovative: We never miss an opportunity to learn, to look out, or to be better.