Job Title: Financial Controller
Abrdn is one of the world’s largest investment companies, and we are built on a long standing culture of caring about the future and making a positive impact. Together we invest for a better future. We do it to make a difference to the lives of our clients and customers, our employees, society and our shareholders.
Our strategy is to build a vibrant and value-creating purpose-led organisation, with the current and future needs of our stake holders at the heart of all we do.
This role will report directly to the UK Financial Reporting & Controls Manager and will be responsible for ensuring key financial and regulatory reporting deliverables are produced to a high standard and on a timely basis. This extends to ensuring that a robust control environment and clear process documentation exists to validate financial data, support key financial outcomes and cross training initiatives.
This role will also be expected to support and where required lead team and group wide projects and work collaboratively across the team, wider finance function and external business areas to deliver insight and support business decision making.
Key Outcomes / Responsibilities:
- Month end reporting – Collation and input of month end journals, as well as timely and well understood financial analytics to provide insight and support business decision making. This includes working collaboratively across the finance function and beyond to understand key inputs and trends within the financial results.
- Quarter end reporting – Plan and execute all board, regulatory and group reporting outputs where required including succinct analytics for presentation to senior business partners. This includes managing expectations of senior partners regarding the delivery of key reporting outputs.
- Year end reporting – Support and deliver timely inputs to the group reporting process, as well as plan and execute statutory reporting outputs. This includes coordinating the delivery of information to the auditors.
- Projects – Where required support and lead on team and group wider projects to support the strategic direction of the finance function.
- Technical resolution – Interpret key accounting and regulatory technical matters for presentation and agreement with the UK Financial Reporting & Controls Manager.
- Processes & control – Prepare and maintain key process documentation for reporting processes and ensure robust controls are in place to support key reporting outcomes. This includes reporting reconciliations and ensuring processes are continuously challenged to deliver efficiencies and add value across the finance function.
- Partner engagement – Working collaboratively with peers across the finance function and wider business areas to deliver business insight and contribute to a best in class finance function.
- Learning & development – Taking responsibility for developing both technical and softer skills to ensure continuous personal development and deliver insight and add value across the finance function.
Skills & Capabilities:
- Ideally a qualified accountant or qualified by experience.
- Asset management experience preferable but not essential.
- Technical and regulatory knowledge desirable.
- Takes personal accountability for high quality outputs and timely delivery.
- Self-starter who is willing to learn and take on new challenges.
- Commercial acumen and ability to challenge trends and form expectations.
- Credibility with partners (Communication and confidence).
- Ability to work optimally as part of a team to inspire, share and listen to ideas.
- Organisational skills with an ability to prioritise work and manage expectations.
- Problem solver who is willing to challenge and deliver value adding outcomes.
- Strong IT / analytical skills (Word, excel, systems experience preferable).
There's more to working life than coming home with a good salary. We have an environment where you can learn, get involved and be supported.
When you join us, your reward will be one of the best around, including 40 days annual leave, a 16% employer pension contribution, a discretionary, performance based bonus, private healthcare and a range of flexible benefits including gym discounts, season ticket loans and access to an employee discount site amongst many others. You can read more about our benefits here.
How we create value
Our strategic drivers are the foundations from which we deliver for all our stake holders: High Impact Intelligence, Enduring Relationships, Connections without borders and Future fit. You can find out more about our values here.
We’re committed to providing an inclusive workplace where all forms of difference are valued and which is free from any form of unfair or unlawful treatment. We define diversity in its broadest sense – this includes but is not limited to our diversity of educational and professional backgrounds, experience, cognitive and neurodiversity, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, religion or belief and ethnicity and geographical provenance. We support a culture that values meritocracy, fairness and transparency and welcomes enquiries from everyone.
If you need assistance or an adjustment due to a disability please let us know as part of your application and we will assist.