Head of Fish Health
We are currently looking to identify a suitably qualified and experienced fish health and welfare professional with solid and vast experience in the aquaculture sector to undertake the role of Head of Fish Health for Mowi Scotland. This Senior Management level position will be responsible for planning and developing the Company’s fish health and welfare strategy.
This post will be based ideally at our Farms Office in Fort William and will provide coverage to all Mowi Scotland farming operations. Situated in the West coast of Scotland, and at the very heart of the Highlands region, Fort William is considered to be the outdoor capital of the UK. With its breath-taking scenery and miles of empty beaches and moorland, Fort William offers a privileged location at a driving distance from vibrant cities such as Edinburgh, Glasgow or Inverness.
As Head of Fish Health your main responsibilities will be:
- To lead Mowi Scotland Health Strategy and actively contribute towards production related matters.
- To coordinate and supervise the health management and monitoring of all stocks.
- To implement health monitoring and surveillance plans.
- To guarantee compliance with the relevant health/welfare legislation, as well as adherence to different commercial standards.
- To be business orientated and focused on cost control.
- To lead a strong biosecurity culture.
- To promote best practices.
- To actively and positively manage the Health Team, currently composed of seven Health Managers and one Laboratory Manager.
- To contribute to staff training at different levels within the organisation.
- To participate and represent Mowi in various industry forums, both at a national and international level.
- To contribute towards R&D projects.
The successful candidate should be a seasoned health professional, with excellent understanding of production needs and the challenges faced by the Scottish Salmon Sector. The candidate should be a passionate, analytical and self-motivated individual, an excellent team player, and possess the ability to think out of the box.
This post is a challenging one, which requires working hours flexibility and capacity to travel extensively within the country, as well as sporadic international travelling. This is a unique post that offers an exciting opportunity to contribute to the core strategy of the biggest salmon producer worldwide.
The successful candidate will report directly to the COO Farming Scotland, Ireland, and Faroes, work closely with Mowi Scotland Production Team, and be part of Mowi Scotland Management Team.
- Degree in Veterinary Medicine or Fish Health Biology.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in the aquaculture sector is a must and a profound knowledge of the Scottish Salmon Sector is desired.
- Proficiency in fish health matters and good knowledge and understanding of production.
- The ability to prescribe in the UK is desirable, but not essential.
- Excellent management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong strategic and innovative thinking.
- Flexibility and adaptability.
- A current driving licence is essential.
We do expect hard work and commitment – you must perform well under pressure, deliver to deadlines and never, ever let standards slide; but in return we offer a competitive reward package, a great place to work, and a unique opportunity to progress your career in a global, well-respected organisation.
We welcome enquiries from everyone and value diversity in our workforce. We are willing to consider flexible working arrangements and are an Equal Opportunities employer. To apply for this vacancy, you must be eligible to work in the UK.
If you wish to apply, please upload your Covering Letter and CV to our website www.mowi.com/people by Thursday 14th of October 2021. Both internal and external applications are welcome.
We can't find any similar jobs at the moment.