Before applying for this job, it is important that you read the Applicant Guidance by clicking on this link and the Job Profile attached.These explain the job role and the type of person we're looking for.
Location: Central Library
Duration: Permanent, Full Time
Working hours are based on a 4 week rota, with some evening work up until 8.15pm and working one Saturday in every four.
The Library Attendant will work as part of a team to deliver a high quality security,
maintenance and courier delivery service for the Library and Learning Service.
- 4 National 5 passes at Grade A-C or equivalent, to include English and a
Mathematics subject or equivalent
- Full, current, clean driving license with the ability to drive all library vehicles
(Category C1 License)
- Ability to carry out the physical nature of duties
- Complete successfully all relevant corporate training within agreed timescales
- Requirement to participate in continuing professional development
- Requirement to travel between library sites and locations
- Requirement to work flexibly as and when required which may include outwith
normal operating hours
The post holder needs to be able to demonstrate skills and experience in:
• Operation of access control systems including intruder alarms and CCTV
• Carrying out physical nature of duties, mechanical aptitude and DIY skills
• Time management and working to deadlines
• Assisting and supporting service users
• Working independently
• Working collaboratively
• Use of new technologies
The post holder needs to be able to demonstrate an understanding of:
• Legislation and best practice relating to Health and Safety with regard to
buildings, fire and public safety
• Legislation relating to libraries, copyright, data protection and freedom of
• Best practice relating to child protection/safeguarding
The post holder needs to be able to demonstrate commitment to:
• Continuing professional development
• Ensuring delivery of high quality, customer focused services which support
achievement of national and local priorities
• Supporting the delivery of the Aberdeen City Council vision for Aberdeen as a
place all people can prosper
Please see job profile for further details.
Aberdeen City Council is an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to equality, diversity and inclusion.
We are happy to talk flexible working and offer flexible working for most roles in the organisation meaning that many of our employees enjoy the freedom of choosing a working pattern that suits them as much as it suits the organisation.
We are a Disability Confident Employer. If you consider yourself to have a disability and think you may require a reasonable adjustment to be made for this part of the selection process, or would like further information in relation to reasonable adjustments, please contact AskHR@aberdeencity.gov.uk.
We are a forces-friendly employer, have signed the Armed Forces Covenant and are a silver award recipient in the Defence Employer Recognition Scheme. We have a specific email address for those in the forces, those who have left the forces, as well as their partners / spouses / families: email@example.com. We are able to answer questions about jobs and our application / selection process, as well as about our employee support provisions.
Guaranteed Interview Scheme
We have a number of guaranteed interview schemes available to applicants who meet the minimum criteria for our roles and who:
- have a disability
- are care-experienced and aged 16-29
- are aged 16-24 and live in Aberdeen City or have been to an Aberdeen City Council school and are applying for a Modern Apprenticeship (except Trades apprenticeships)
- have done a Foundation Apprenticeship with Aberdeen City Council and are applying for any apprenticeships relevant to the area in which they did their Foundation Apprenticeship
- are New Scots aged 16-24 and are applying for any apprenticeships
Further information can be found at https://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/services/jobs