The Marine Pilot 1st Class assists Shipmasters and pilots, berths, unberths and safely navigates vessels of all classes safely and efficiently within the Sullom Voe and Scalloway pilotage areas. The Marine Pilot 1st Class reports to the Team Leader - Harbour Master. During an act of pilotage, pilots work wholly unsupervised. Every act of pilotage is subject to various statutes and regulations and in Sullom Voe is monitored by Sullom Voe Port Control VTS.
More detail is provided in the Job Profile, Person Specification and Conditions of Service Summary attached to the bottom of this advert.
Please follow the link below for further information -
• The grade of this post is J/K/L.
• Salary shown is inclusive of a Market Forces supplement and a Distant Islands Allowance.
• This post is career graded - your salary and career progression will depend on your experience and qualifications.
• Permanent Full Time post for 37 hours per week, 52.18 weeks per year.
• A relocation package does not apply to this post.
• We will pay interview expenses from within Shetland.
• Not suitable for Job Share.
• Not suitable for Remote Working.
During the application process you are required to give the names of two persons not related to you, who we can contact to provide a reference to support your application.
This post is based at Sella Ness, Sullom Voe, Shetland
For further details relating to this post, please contact: Greg Maitland, Harbour Master, Tel 01806 244209 or email email@example.com
The main duties and responsibilities of the Marine Pilot 1st Class includes:
- Advise, via ship's master, vessel crew operations relating to securing tugs, mooring, unmooring. Liaise with and direct terminal jetty staff during mooring/unmooring operations.
- Act as Harbour Master's representative on board vessels being piloted to/from/at berths. Ensure in so far as is possible that the inbound vessel under pilotage is fit and safe for the port.
- Liaise with Port Control regarding traffic movements and 'own ship' progress
- Have a full knowledge and understanding of the SIC Marine Safety Management System (SMS). Ensure compliance with harbour bye-laws and directives and act on, record and report any infringements.
- Provide when on or off duty, emergency cover, assist in conservancy work and as marine representative of the Council, witness and report on any marine emergency or unusual occurrence. Carry out any reasonable duties/requests of the Director of Infrastructure at any location, harbour or waters under the jurisdiction of the Council.
We can't find any similar jobs at the moment.