Create an alert for jobs like this
Be the first to get notified when new jobs are added
You can unsubscribe at any time.
- £96,963 to £128,841 per annum
- Full Time
- Contact: Personnel Department
- Reference: 169237
- Posted November, 02, 2023 12:00 AM
Applications are invited for a Consultant Urological Surgeon to be based at Raigmore Hospital, Inverness. The post is offered on the new Consultant Contract terms and conditions, on a 10 programmed activity basis although two...
Applications are invited for a Consultant Urological Surgeon to be based at Raigmore Hospital, Inverness. The post is offered on the new Consultant Contract terms and conditions, on a 10 programmed activity basis although two EPAs may be available. Applicants must be on the Specialist Register or within six months of the anticipated award of a CCT at the time of interview for the post. The appointee will participate in the on-call rota.
The successful applicant will become an integral part of the urological services delivered across NHS Highland. You will join a department of highly motivated consultant urologists and specialist nurses who work as a strong team, with individual skills and specialist interests to compliment each other. The department currently has an establishment of five consultants. This is an additional post, bringing the consultant base up to six, in line with BAUS recommendation.
Raigmore Hospital is the principle elective acute hospital for the Highlands and Islands. The Urology unit is based here in Inverness in the Highland Urology Centre. We provide urological care for the population of the Highlands, Western Isles and some of the Small Isles. All major surgery, one stop clinics and specialist investigations are based in Raigmore. We are supported by our rural general hospitals, who currently offer diagnostic services as well as elective and emergency rural general surgery. We have a newly opened diagnostic hub, the Highland Urology Centre, and are excited about increasing services that can be offered to streamline patient care, especially on a one stop basis. We have recently had a Da Vinci Xi Robotic platform delivered for multi specialty use and developing urological surgery with this is a high priority.
The Department of General Surgery and Urology will be expanding due to pressure of clinical activity and currently comprises thirteen General Surgeons with a full range of sub-specialties and five Urologists.
We are a department that champions innovation and new ways of working. We would welcome applicants with sub specialty interests that complement the department, but recognise the very valuable contribution of core General Urology to providing a successful and manageable Urological service. We would particularly welcome applicants with an interest in robotics, pelvic oncology, upper and lower tract surgery and diagnostics, especially transperineal biopsy. We recognise that a modern surgical career may be portfolio based and would be happy to negotiate jobs plans to accommodate interests in research, teaching, development and humanitarian work. Above all, we welcome applicants whose outlook matches that of the department, who wish to strive for excellence and quality.
Raigmore Hospital is a Cancer Centre and offers a full range of secondary and tertiary services to the remote and rural areas of the Highlands, Islands and parts of West Grampian. Back-up includes full diagnostic and interventional radiology, renal medicine, nuclear medicine, oncology and laboratory services. There are regular weekly MDTs in Urology and a good e-Health department. There is an active Postgraduate Centre with a well-equipped library and a small urology library. There is an extensive undergraduate teaching programme with students from Aberdeen University and a significant commitment to teaching is expected. The Undergraduate Centre, affiliated to Aberdeen University, has a newly created Research Unit and Audit facility offer exciting academic opportunities.
Informal enquiries are welcome and should be made in the first instance to either Ms Karina Laing, Unit Clinical Director for the Specialty ( 01643 705573) or Mr Alan Grant, Clinical Director for Surgery and Urology on 01463 705691
Please quote Job Reference 169237
NHS Scotland is committed to encouraging equality and diversity among our workforce and eliminating unlawful discrimination. The aim is for our workforce to be truly representative and for each employee to feel respected and able to give their best. To this end, NHS Scotland welcomes applications from all sections of society.
- You should apply for this post by completing the application process on Jobtrain.
- DO NOT upload a CV as this will not be used for short listing purposes
- Posts close at midnight on the indicated date
- For help to complete an application on Job Train please follow this link: https://www.careers.nhs.scot/how-to-apply/application-process/
- To view our accessibility statement, please follow this link: https://www.eess.nhs.scot/jobtrain-accessibility-statement/
- Please note that our correspondence method is by e-mail, therefore please ensure you enter your email address accurately
- Please check your e-mail regularly (including junk folders) and also your Jobtrain account for updates
- Please contact Jobtrain Candidate Support Hub - https://jobseekersupport.jobtrain.co.uk/support/home for advice and support with any system issues
- We recommend using the Internet Browser "Google Chrome" or "Microsoft Edge" when using Jobtrain
- Once you have submitted your application form you will be unable to make any amendments
- Some of our vacancies are for internal candidates only. If you are a member of staff, please ensure you update your Jobtrain profile to reflect that you are employed by NHS Highland
NHS Highland is geographically the largest of the 14 regional boards of NHS Scotland, covering an area of 12,500 square miles, across Highland and Argyll & Bute.
As a board we strive to ensure the environment is conducive to nurturing a positive culture, supported and delivered through our NHS and Social Care values.
Care and compassion
Dignity and respect
Openness, honesty and responsibility
Quality and teamwork