We are looking for a carer to help look after our Mum.
We have permanent shifts available from 8-10am through the week, with an extended shift (until 2/3pm) on Tuesdays. We pay £10 per hour plus 45p mileage for any travel you do with our Mum.
Mum has had a diagnosis of vascular dementia for just over 2 years now. Vascular dementia can mean that days can be variable. Mostly Mum is fine and just gets a bit confused with what is happening and how to do things, however if she has had a poor night’s sleep she can be more confused.
Mum has a good sense of humour and is able to see the funny side of most things that happen, including forgetting who people are. She goes to daycare twice a week and will be going 3 times a week. She is active and busy and close to her family who all live nearby.
She loves nature and particularly birdwatching. She likes poking round charity shops, enjoys having tea and a cake out, and also enjoys gardening and growing. Mum is good fun to be with.
Here's what we think a typical morning would include;
Opening blinds and window in bedroom
Getting breakfast ready for Mum (eating with her if you want to)
Prompting Mum to get washed and dressed ready for the day
Helping Mum to get her handbag, glasses, coat and shoes for the day
We are a small family so reliability is key to us as is being the right person for our Mum
We look forward to hearing from you
Here are the personal qualities we think are important for this role;
• Caring and kind nature – treating our Mum as you would expect your Mum to be treated
• Facilitating rather than doing – gently encouraging Mum to do as much as she can for herself rather than doing it all for her (even though she will let you quite easily!). If you enjoyed a spot of gardening or had a dog that needed walking that would be great too.
• Good sense of humour – able to share a joke and a laugh
• Good conversational skills – Mum does love a chat
• Trustworthy and reliable – you are looking after our Mum so this is really important to us
• Communication skills – Mum has a supportive and close family. It’s important that we are kept up to date with how Mum is and if there is anything different or concerning to you.
We can't find any similar jobs at the moment.