The Team Leader - Harbour Master reports to the Executive Manager - Ports and Harbours. The Harbour Master takes collective responsibility along with the Director and Executive Manager for directorate decision taking and support to Elected Members in determining the Council's overall strategic objectives and priorities in relation to Ports and Harbours.
Manage the safe and efficient operation of Sullom Voe, Scalloway and other ports including the provision of Pilotage Services, Vessel traffic Services, Pollution Control and Port Safety in accordance with the Council's values, objectives, targets and statutory obligations. This includes responsibility for the following functions: vessel Traffic Services (VTS), Pilotage Services, Port Safety Services, Pollution Control Services.
The Harbour Master provides professional advice to the Council, Chief Executive, Director and Executive Manager to ensure the Council fulfils all statutory requirements and implements policies in respect of its harbours in accordance with the 'Port and Marine Safety Code' and the 'Guide to Good Practice On Port Marine Operations'.
More detail is provided in the Job Profile, Person Specification and Conditions of Service Summary attached to the bottom of this advert.
Please follow the link below for further information:
• The grade of this post is Grade O and the salary shown is inclusive of a Market Forces Supplement of £24,717-£30,423 (The supplement applied will be determined by experience and ability).
• Salary shown in the advert is inclusive of Distant Islands Allowance of £1,998 per annum
• Politically Restricted Post - this post is designated under the terms of the Local Democracy, Economic Development and Construction Act 2009, and the postholder is restricted as to the undertaking of political activity.
• A relocation package does apply to this post.
• We will pay interview expenses from within the UK
• You must hold a valid driving licence and have a suitable vehicle for use during your employment, as this post has an Essential Car User Allowance.
• Not suitable for Job Share
• Not suitable for Remote Working
During the application process you are required to give the names of two persons not related to you, who we can contact to provide a reference to support your application.
This post is based at The Port Administration Building, Sella Ness, Sullom Voe, Shetland.
For further details relating to this post, please contact John Smith, Executive Manager on 01595 744201
The successful candidate must:
Be educated to Certificate of Competency as Deck Officer Class 1 (Master Mariner), Harbourmaster Diploma or equivalent.
Have knowledge of the Port Marine Safety Code (PMSC) and ISM Code.
Have 5 or more years experience within the ports and/or maritime industries.
Have experience of handling vessels within a large harbour area that includes pilotage, VTS and Aids to Navigation.
Have experience of Implementing and/or managing Safety Management Systems in a Safety Critical Environment subject to external audit.
Applications must be made online at myjobscotland.gov.uk
We can't find any similar jobs at the moment.