- Sector: Engineering and Technical
- Specialism: Controls, Engineering Management
- Location: Inverness, Aberdeen, Perth, Glasgow
- £36,000 to £54,000 per annum GBP 36000
- Hours: Full Time
- Contact: Human Resources
- Reference: 509961
Protection and Control Engineer
Job location: Glasgow, Perth, Inverness or Aberdeen (flexible)
Salary: £36,000 - £54,000 depending on skills and experience plus car and bonus
Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks forms part of the FTSE-50 energy company, SSE. Our electricity distribution and transmission networks carry electricity to over 3.7 million homes and businesses across Scotland and Central Southern England. Our skilled teams are based right across the regions we serve, from the bustle of West London to the smallest villages in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland.
At Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks we are keeping our customers' lives comfortable, warm and well lit, no matter what. Our focus on people helps us understand the needs of the community and deliver the best service possible – no excuses. We've worked on our networks for over 70 years to meet the changing needs of our customers. We are ready to meet the challenges ahead. We're powering our community.
To ensure that the network continues to run effectively, we are looking to recruit a Protection and Control Engineer to join our existing teams based in Glasgow, Perth, Inverness or Aberdeen; the location for this role is flexible depending on your current circumstance. The team are currently working on a number of key transmission projects in Scotland which are at various stages of the design and construction phases.
As part of the Protection and Control team you will work on projects including:
- Introduction of new technologies such as HVDC Subsea Links alongside circuit upgrades including the Beauly / Denny 400 kV reinforcement
- Delivery of transmission projects (400/275/132kV) to cost whilst exacting standards and project timescales during the design and construction phase
- Design of detailed engineering solutions for new-built and existing systems; focus on protection application for standard and complex networks by optimising available choice of protection relays
Your key responsibilities and scope of work will include:
- Preparation of both basic and detailed engineering specifications for plant protection systems, network automation, substation control systems and metering
- Preparation of substation key and line diagram; protection logic diagram and relay and metering diagram; protection schemes; interlocking schemes within Substation equipment and co-ordination of all primary equipment
- Specification of major components used in the design, calculation of Relay settings and CT sizing calculations
- Contractor engagement including; assessment, verification and approval of engineering design and documentation, ensuring compliance with scope, standards and policies in place. Witness and approval of contractor's testing plans and procedures also included
- Provide technical support to the Project Delivery teams regarding the design, construction and operation of Protection and Control systems
- Provide support and guidance to site installation and commissioning staff during the installation and commissioning phase of projects
- Stakeholder liaison, both internal and external, keeping all relevant parties up to date with projects
- Working on project Technical Specifications and BETTA documentation
To be successful in this role you will hold the following skills and experience;
- Qualified in Electrical Engineering and/or Protection Systems
- Experience of detailing protection and control specifications, including calculation of settings
- Knowledge of plant and equipment standards and specifications for protection systems
- Robust understanding of health and safety requirements including a working knowledge of Construction (Design and Management) Regulations
- Demonstrate awareness of the latest developments in the industry and provide innovative solutions in line with new technology
- Comfortable working with Commissioning Engineers to ensure that all necessary drawings, settings, software and equipment are available to meet project deliverables
- Previous experience in the power transmission/distribution industry designing protection systems for substations to UK standards would be highly advantageous
Closing date for applications is: Sunday 18th December 2016.
There are big energy challenges ahead, but with your skills and experience there are just as many opportunities. For us it's not just about being good at what you do - it's about enjoying what you do, too. So we'll encourage and empower you to be imaginative, share your great ideas, and do work that you can be proud of. In return for being your best for our customers, you'll also enjoy a variety of benefits and development opportunities. On top of a competitive salary, you'll enjoy generous holiday entitlement, a Group Pension Plan, share options and discounts on energy bills, phone and broadband.
This vacancy is open to internal and external candidates. As a courtesy, internal candidates should please notify their line manager prior to submitting their application. Successful candidates will be subject to the company's verification and vetting process which includes a basic criminal record check.
We can't find any similar jobs at the moment.