Focused and driven, you will be committed to taking a lead role in shaping the direction of RGU SPORT within our expanding Sport Development Team.
You will lead the RGU SPORT operational team to ensure the facility continues to be a leading sport and physical activity provider within Aberdeen as well as developing and delivering on the strategic objectives of the university. You will also lead a number of strategic sport development initiatives utilising your knowledge, experience and creative thinking to improve customer enjoyment of RGU SPORT programmes and the student experience at the university.
Educated to degree level in a sport or leisure related discipline, you will have proven experience within a sport and physical activity environment, leading a team and managing their development. You will also have experience of health and safety and maintenance management. Personal confidence and composure, excellent communication skills and a strong commitment to customer care are required. You will have experience of working in a busy customer focused environment with skills related to managing projects, budgets and motivation.
You will have extensive knowledge of the current developments within the sport, physical activity and leisure fields and will preferably be qualified in coaching or teaching at level 2 or above in one or more of; strength and conditioning or gym instructing; lifeguarding; first aid; climbing; group exercise; NGB sport award [e.g. swimming]. Qualification(s) in health and safety are also preferable.
This is a fantastic opportunity to enhance your experience in developing, implementing and delivering sport and physical activity programmes as well as managing and developing a team of individuals to achieve strategic and individual goals and objectives.
This role will involve some unsociable hours including evening and weekend working to meet client requirements.
This post is subject to the individual being required to join the PVG scheme. For more information visit: http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/disclosureinformation/pvgscheme.htm
Salary on first appointment is normally to the bottom of the scale, although in exceptional circumstances an appointment further up the scale may be considered
Closing date: 21 June 2017
Responsible To: Head of Sport
Responsible For: Sport Assistants and Part Time instructors
Purpose of Post: Managing the link between operational delivery & sport and physical activity programme development.
1. Ensure effective and visible line management of operational colleagues including a focus on their development to deliver against strategy.
2. Develop, manage & evaluate programmed activity, such as Performance Sport; Academic and Campus Wide Activity; Children, Schools & Community Engagement; Sports Clubs, Volunteering & Intra Mural; Corporate Wellness; Gym, Swim, Group Exercise & Membership Activity; Continuing Professional Development and report back to the Head of Sport.
3. Lead on operational work areas specifically: Health and Safety Management and Building Maintenance & Cleanliness.
4. Assist with controlling specific areas of the department's budget & maintaining an appropriate audit trail in line with university procedures.
5. Ensure the legal requirements relating to Health & Safety and child protection are met.
6. To work closely with Head of Sport to deliver against the strategic objective of RGU SPORT and the wider university.
7. Lead on an appropriate colleague training and personal development schedule for all colleagues. Ensure that their qualifications are updated as and when required.
8. Assure compliance with the University's policies and procedures.
9. Build effective working relationships with other colleagues within RGU SPORT and across the university.
10. Cashing up tills and process orders on PECOS and CEDAR & utilise Leisure Management System to manage and develop bookings.
11. This role may offer opportunities to: lecture on the Applied Sports and Exercise Science Degree; deliver Group Exercise Classes, Colleague Training, NPLQ courses and First Aid Courses; carry out Personal Training and Fitness testing.
12. Carry out other related duties as required.
Qualifications and Professional Memberships
First Degree Sport/Leisure related degree or equivalent experience.
Evidence of your individual Continuing Professional Development
Knowledge and Experience
The ability to deliver against strategy regarding development, organisation and delivery of operational and programme aspects of the facility.
Experience of Leading a team and managing their development
Sport & Physical Activity project management and/or operational experience
Understanding the use of IT including Leisure Management Systems to improve administrative processes and manage business.
Experience of managing a budget and profitable contracts
Knowledge of current developments within the sport, physical activity and leisure fields.
Knowledge of relevant health & safety/ maintenance requirements for a leisure facility
Experience of presenting and delivering training.
Experience of being customer focussed and working in a busy facility.
The role will involve some unsociable hours including weekend working to meet client requirements.
Qualifications and Professional Memberships
Level 2 or above coaching/ teaching/ instructing trainer assessor approved qualifications or equivalent in; gym instructing or strength and conditioning (UKSCA), lifeguarding (NPLQ), Climbing (CWA), group exercise, first aid at work, Pool Plan Operation, NGB sport awards (e.g. Swimming).
Health and Safety Qualification
Hold a full UK Driving license.
Knowledge and Experience
Knowledge of HE sport.
Experience of managing HR/colleague issues.
Experience of Sales and Marketing
Experience of leading facility operations
Experience of sports coaching or fitness instructing. Experience of lifeguarding.
Experience of climbing wall operations.
Behaviour 1: Service Delivery - Experience of exploring and adapting a service to meet customers' expectations and also identifying ways of improving standards
Behaviour 2: Team Development - Experience of providing advice or guidance to new starts, delivering training or instruction to others on specific tasks or activities and identifying the training and development needs of the team and carrying out performance appraisals
Behaviour 3: Communication - Ability to receive, understand and convey both straightforward information, and information requiring careful explanation, in a clear and accurate manner
Behaviour 4: Team Work and Motivation - Experience of being a team leader, agreeing clear team objectives and organising and delegating tasks according to individual abilities
Behaviour 5: Planning and Organising Resources - Experience of planning, prioritising and organising the work of yourself and others (within own area) on a daily, weekly or monthly basis, whilst ensuring the effective use of resources
Applications must be made online at myjobscotland.gov.uk
We can't find any similar jobs at the moment.