The BusinessJoin us as a Lead Software Engineer (Java) in Edinburgh
- If you have Java expertise, this is an opportunity to take on an exciting role and be recognised as a thought leader in your field
- You'll lead the technical delivery of a software engineering team, and you'll be really making your mark in this area as we work to upgrade our infrastructure
- You'll achieve great visibility as you liaise with engineers, architects, business analysts and other key stakeholders to understand objectives, requirements and options
What you'll do
We're upgrading our estate, to ensure we have robust and cutting edge software and hardware behind core bank services. As a Java expert, you'll play a pivotal role in this.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Applying the best practice in software engineering to the technical design, development, testing, and maintenance of applications and services
- Leading solution design options
- Monitoring the technical progress against plans while safeguarding functionality, scalability and performance and providing updates to stakeholders
- Sharing expertise and supporting the team in understanding of software languages
- Helping define technical strategy and advising on product roadmaps and migration plans to achieve strategic goals
- Designing and developing high-volume, high-performance, high-availability applications using proven frameworks and technologies
The skills you'll need
We're looking for someone with Java expertise, and a background in software engineering, software design or database design and architecture. You'll also need experience providing technical leadership for a software engineering team.
Crucially, we'll look to you to demonstrate experience with the following:
- Core Java and J2EE
- JSF (2.0)
- Java RMI Websphere Application Server
- Struts Framework (1.1,1.2)
The following would also be an advantage:
- Java/J2EE Design experience
- Basic Oracle knowledge
- Windows scripting experience
How we'll reward you
In return, we offer a competitive salary plus 25% cash and benefit funding programme that can be tailored to suit your individual needs. In addition, we provide a wide selection of exclusive lifestyle offers, development and learning programmes, services and support designed to help you manage and balance your work/life priorities.
Visit our reward and benefits page for more information on the benefit packages we offer.
At RBS, we want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, we’ll do everything we can to support you. As part of this commitment, we offer flexible working options for some of our roles - find out more.
As a Financial Services organisation we comply with and support the requirements set by our Regulator, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), which are designed to protect our customers. This role falls under Conduct Rules of the Individual Accountability Regime (IAR) and is subject to pre-employment screening. This means if your application is successful, you’ll need to satisfy some important background checks before you can start working with us. These will include a full credit check, a criminal record check, residency and right to work checks.