The BusinessJoin us as a Service Specialist - SQL Server in Edinburgh
- You'll provide MS SQL project and day to day database support to the infrastructure and development communities, maintaining database performance, availability and security
- This is an excellent opportunity to gain exposure to a vital project, and to broaden your expertise in a fast paced area
What you'll do
You'll complete all project work requested from the business, including tasks associated with tuning, builds and supporting ongoing development and production activities. You'll be responsible for incident and problem management using standard TS toolsets, including shift coverage and out of hours, and you'll also complete change management and implementation in line with the TS process.
Additionally your role will involve:
- Documenting project activities and systems
- Working within the project framework and following correct procedures
- Meeting set Key Performance Indicator (KPI) objectives and managing the capacity of the overall environment
- Improving the technical delivery of the MS SQL team, and making sure that all products delivered meet customer needs and are fit for purpose
- Working with Database Engineering at the Design and Transition stage to make sure all products delivered meet specification
The skills you'll need
To succeed in this role you'll need extensive SQL Server RDBMS skills and a background in a large scale banking environment, together with practical experience in monitoring and tuning a database to provide a high availability service.
You'll also demonstrate:
- Experience of providing installation, management and production support of SQL 2005, 2008, 2012, 2014 and 2016, plus Clustering
- Strong experience in supporting a production system and success in delivering projects in a high pressure business environment
- In-depth knowledge of SQL Server Replication, specifically merge
- An awareness of the ITIL framework
- Experience of ESX
How we'll reward you
In return, we offer a competitive salary plus 30% cash and benefit funding programme that can be tailored to suit your individual needs. In addition, we provide a wide selection of exclusive lifestyle offers, development and learning programmes, services and support designed to help you manage and balance your work/life priorities.
Visit our reward and benefits page for more information on the benefit packages we offer.
ng-bindingAt RBS, we want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, we’ll do everything we can to support you. As part of this commitment, we offer flexible working options for some of our roles - find out more.
As a Financial Services organisation we comply with and support the requirements set by our Regulator, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), which are designed to protect our customers. This role falls under Conduct Rules of the Individual Accountability Regime (IAR) and is subject to pre-employment screening. This means if your application is successful, you’ll need to satisfy some important background checks before you can start working with us. These will include a full credit check, a criminal record check, residency and right to work checks.