The BusinessWe're looking for a Service Specialist to join us in Edinburgh
- If you have extensive technical knowledge and a good understanding of infrastructure technology, join us in IT Operations
- You'll work closely with a diverse range of stakeholders within Enterprise Platforms and Internal Application Development
- Essentially, you'll be making sure the database engineering products meet our business requirements
What you'll do
You'll deliver engineering services to our business and technology functions for strategic database platforms. You'll report into the Lead Oracle Engineer and be responsible for delivering against the infrastructure technology roadmap and the development of new standard, global services to support our business and application requirements.
Day-to-day, you'll be:
- Developing the database platform standard build including enhancement, maintenance and management
- Implementing and maintaining security and auditing best practice
- Developing and improving database patch management and release processes
- Designing and developing tools and expertise for pro-active evaluation, analysis and remediation of database environments
- Maintaining market awareness of new products that could potentially offer improved value to the operations and application development
The skills you'll need
Whilst this isn't a Database Administrator (DBA) role, previous DBA experience would be highly valuable as well as an awareness of current technology - particularly technology deployment in financial services or other innovative technology users. We also want you to have a clear understanding of infrastructure engineering operating models and technology leadership within a database environment.
This should include engineering, implementation and past operational experience within the following areas:
- Shell Scripting, Perl and PL/SQL experience
- Automated deployment methods and products
- Database consolidation and virtualisation practices for example, 12c multitenant architecture, VmWare
- Data distribution/replication methods including Oracle Goldengate and ODI
- Redhat Enterprise Linux, Solaris, support infrastructure for example NIS, NIS+, LDAP, NFS and Samba
How we'll reward you
In return, we offer a competitive salary plus 30% cash and benefit funding programme that can be tailored to suit your individual needs. In addition, we provide a wide selection of exclusive lifestyle offers, development and learning programmes, services and support designed to help you manage and balance your work/life priorities.
For more information on our benefits, please visit our website.
At RBS, we want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, we’ll do everything we can to support you. As part of this commitment, we offer flexible working options for some of our roles, find out more here.
As a Financial Services organisation we comply with and support the requirements set by our Regulator, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), which are designed to protect our customers. This role falls under Conduct Rules of the Individual Accountability Regime (IAR) and is subject to pre-employment screening. This means if your application is successful, you’ll need to satisfy some important background checks before you can start working with us. These will include a full credit check, a criminal record check, residency and right to work checks.