Position: Duty Manager
Location: Inverness Youth Hostel, Victoria Drive, Inverness, IV2 3QB
Hours per week: 40
Contract: Fixed term, immediate start for 23 months.
Accommodation: This is a live-out position
We are looking for a self-motivated and enthusiastic individual who understands our charitable objectives and can commit themselves to place people at the heart of SYHA, welcoming all guests through our inclusive and accessible culture, embracing diversity as well as understanding different needs of everyone who has contact with SYHA Hostelling Scotland whilst delivering the best possible standards of Customer Service to our guests.
We currently have an opening for a Duty Manager based at our Inverness Youth Hostel which is a short walk from the city centre, providing a great base for exploring the Highland Capital and surrounding area.
The main responsibility of this post:
- To ensure that all youth hostel customer services and guest facility provisions are welcoming, clean, comfortable, secure, safe, accessible, and maintained to the appropriate quality standard within the resources priorities available to enhance guest experience and expectations.
- Ensure to provide an excellent customer service in line with our Customer Service Charter.
- Support the Hostel Manager in all aspects of day-to-day running of the hostels within the group, including administrative tasks, staff training and supervision, catering and customer service, development and implementation of procedures, ensuring compliance with legislative and company requirements.
- Actively participating in reception duties, housekeeping routine, laundry and additional deep cleaning as well as smaller maintenance tasks.
- Be responsible for ensuring that the team is working effectively and efficiently as well as the team morale is maintained to a high level.
Suitable candidates will:
- Be committed to providing outstanding customer service in line with SYHA customer charter
- Have strong leadership and supervisory skills with excellent communication skills and commercial awareness
- Hand-on approach to assist the team in day-to-day operational running of hostels within the group.
- Have experience in a similar role within hospitality, tourism or service industry, as well as good understanding of Health and Safety at work, catering experience with relevant food hygiene certificate/qualification, cash handling and IT literacy.
- Be familiar with statistics and reports.
- Be flexible and adaptable as well as having a can-do attitude and the ability to work under pressure and unsupervised.
The following skills sets and experience would be an advantage:
- A good knowledge of the local and surrounding area, to be able to deliver first class guest information and help with travel planning as well as giving our guests inspiration on how to make the most of their stay in the area.
- The successful candidate will be an effective member of the team and ready and willing to assist in any way necessary to ensure the team is well supported, this may include night porter duties.
- Due to the nature of this position, the post holder may be required to stay overnights to cover night shift as and when required.
- Please note that a successful candidate is required to provide two satisfactory work references and to apply for a Basic Disclosure before they can commence their employment with SYHA.
SYHA Hostelling Scotland is a self-funding charity operating a network of over 60 exceptional youth and affiliate hostels for the benefit of all those wishing to learn and experience what Scotland has to offer. Our unique sites provide affordable, comfortable, safe and quality-assured accommodation with a warm friendly welcome, local knowledge, activities and services for guests travelling around Scotland.
How to apply:
To obtain job description and application form, please visit our website. If you think you have the skills and experience to match our requirements please forward your application form with covering letter to: John Jones, Hostel Manager, c/o Inverness Youth Hostel, Victoria Drive, Inverness, IV2 3QB
Closing Date: 27/Jul/17
Please note SYHA operates a policy where only successful applicants will be contacted. If you do not hear from us within two weeks of the closing date you have not been shortlisted on this occasion.
SYHA has a commitment to Equal Opportunities and Diversity.
Scottish Youth Hostels Association (also known as SYHA Hostelling Scotland) is a registered Scottish charity, No. SC013138 and a company limited by guarantee, registered in Scotland, No. SC310841, Registered Office 7 Glebe Crescent, Stirling FK8 2JA.