Position: Hostel Assistant
Location: Pitlochry Youth Hostel, Knockard Road, Pitlochry, PH16 5HJ
Contract: Fixed term, immediate start until 29/Oct/17
Hours: 25 per week
Salary: £7.50 per hour
Accommodation: Live-in accommodation available (Please note small weekly charge applies.
We are looking for a self-motivated and enthusiastic individual who understands our charitable objectives and can commit themselves to place people at the heart of SYHA, welcoming all guests through our inclusive and accessible culture, embracing diversity as well as understanding different needs of everyone who has contact with SYHA Hostelling Scotland whilst delivering the best possible standards of Customer Service to our guests.
We currently have an opening for a Hostel Assistant based at our Pitlochry Youth Hostel which is set in beautiful Perthshire countryside and is a short walk from the Victorian town of Pitlochry.
The main responsibility of this post:
- To ensure that all youth hostel customer services and guest facility provisions are welcoming, clean, comfortable, secure, safe, accessible, and maintained to the appropriate quality standard within the resources priorities available to enhance guest experience and expectations.
- Undertaking general hostel assistant role, including reception duties, general customer service, cleaning /housekeeping including bed making and catering.
Suitable applicant will have:
- Worked successfully in a customer facing role, preferably in similar hospitality surroundings
- Gained experience in catering, reception, cash handling, will be IT literate
- Keen attention to details.
- Ability to work as an effective team member as well as unsupervised.
- Good understanding of food and hygiene practice.
The following skills sets and experience would be an advantage:
- A good knowledge of the local and surrounding area, to be able to deliver first class guest information and help with travel planning as well as giving our guests inspiration on how to make the most of their stay in the area.
- The role involves physical activities such as bed making on upper and lower bunk beds, including stripping and turning beds on a daily basis.
- The post holder will have flexibility to work in order to support the Youth Hostel including working on weekends, and staying overnight at the hostel as and when required, in addition to covering other hostels within the Cairngorm Group.
- A successful candidate is required to provide two satisfactory references and to apply for a
- Basic Disclosure before they can commence their employment with SYHA.
SYHA Hostelling Scotland is a self-funding charity operating a network of over 60 exceptional youth and affiliate hostels for the benefit of all those wishing to learn and experience what Scotland has to offer. Our unique sites provide affordable, comfortable, safe and quality-assured accommodation with a warm friendly welcome, local knowledge, activities and services for guests travelling around Scotland.
How to apply:
Further information on this position and to obtain an application form and job description, please visit our website. If you think you have the skills and experience to match our requirements, please forward your CV with covering letter to: Jan Lloyd, Hostel Manager, Pitlochry Youth Hostel, Knockard Road, Pitlochry, PH16 5HJ
Please note SYHA operates a policy where only successful applicants will be contacted. If you do not hear from us within two weeks of your application you have not been shortlisted on this occasion.
SYHA has a commitment to Equal Opportunities and Diversity.
Scottish Youth Hostels Association (also known as SYHA Hostelling Scotland) is a registered Scottish charity, No. SC013138 and a company limited by guarantee, registered in Scotland, No. SC310841, Registered Office 7 Glebe Crescent, Stirling FK8 2JA.