- Sector: Hospitality, Catering and Tourism
- Location: Aviemore
- £7.50 per hour GBP 8
- Hours: Full Time Contract
- Contact: Douglas McLean
- Reference: AVIE13117
Reference Code: AVIE13117
Position: Hostel Assistant
Location: Aviemore Youth Hostel, 25 Grampian Road, Aviemore PH22 1PR
Salary Details: £ 7.50 per hour
Hours per week: 35 hours
Accommodation: This is a live-out position.
Contract: Fixed term, proposed start date 01/Sep/17 until 31/Jul/18
We are looking for a self-motivated and enthusiastic individual who understands our charitable objectives and can commit themselves to place people at the heart of SYHA, welcoming all guests through our inclusive and accessible culture, embracing diversity as well as understanding different needs of everyone who has contact with SYHA Hostelling Scotland whilst delivering the best possible standards of Customer Service to our guests.
We are currently seeking to appoint a Hostel Assistant to provide a high standard of guest care based at our Aviemore Youth Hostel, surrounded by woodland nearby to Aviemore town centre and Cairngorm Mountain.
The main responsibility of this post:
- To ensure that all youth hostel customer services and guest facility provisions are welcoming, clean, comfortable, secure, safe, accessible, and maintained to the appropriate quality standard within the resources priorities available to enhance guest experience and expectations
- A full reception service to hostel guests including check-in/out, handling customer enquiries and providing information, guidance and support for guests and their onward travels, general customer service in line with our customer service charter and ethos
- Housekeeping, laundry and catering duties (e.g. providing assistance during breakfast, and function service, waiting tables, cooking and preparing foodstuffs as well as cleaning and washing up.
Suitable applicant will have:
- Experience of having worked in a customer facing role with a commitment to high standards of customer service.
- IT literacy and cash handling experience.
- A good knowledge and experience of food and hygiene practices as well as an understanding of the importance of health and safety at work.
- Ability to work as an effective team member as well as unsupervised.
- Flexibility and adaptability as well as a can-do attitude and the ability to work under pressure.
The following skills sets and experience would be an advantage:
A good knowledge of the local and surrounding area, to be able to deliver first class guest information and help with travel planning as well as giving our guests inspiration on how to make the most of their stay in the area.
- Staff will be trained in all areas and will rotate through a variety of shifts to ensure everyone is capable of covering the various aspects of the hostel running.
- You must be capable and willing to assist each other and maintain team morale to ensure a positive environment for guest experience.
- The post holder may undertake occasional night shift duties.
- The role also involves some physical activities such as bed making of bunk beds with upper and lower beds, including stripping and turning mattresses.
- A successful candidate is required to provide two satisfactory references and to apply for a
- Basic Disclosure before they can commence their employment with SYHA.
SYHA Hostelling Scotland is a self-funding charity operating a network of over 60 exceptional youth and affiliate hostels for the benefit of all those wishing to learn and experience what Scotland has to offer. Our unique sites provide affordable, comfortable, safe and quality-assured accommodation with a warm friendly welcome, local knowledge, activities and services for guests travelling around Scotland.
How to apply:
Further information on this position and to obtain job description and application form please visit our website. If you think you have the skills and experience to match our requirements please forward an application form with covering letter to: Cairngorm Group Manager, Aviemore YH, Grampian Road, Aviemore, PH22 1PR
Please note SYHA operates a policy where only successful applicants will be contacted. If you do not hear from us within two weeks of the closing date you have not been shortlisted on this occasion.
SYHA has a commitment to Equal Opportunities and Diversity
Scottish Youth Hostels Association (also known as SYHA) is a registered Scottish charity, No. SC013138 and a company limited by guarantee, registered in Scotland, No. SC310841, Registered Office 7 Glebe Crescent, Stirling FK8 2JA