Position: Hostel Assistant
Location: Portree Youth Hostel, Portree, Isle of Skye, IV51 9EW
Hours per week: 35 hours per week
Salary: £7.50 per hour
Contract: Permanent, immediate start
Accommodation: Available (note: there will be some weekly charge to live-in.)
We are currently seeking self-motivated and enthusiastic individuals with commitment to provide an excellent customer service to join our team at our Portree Youth Hostel.
Portree Youth Hostel is located in the heart of Portree, the capital of Skye, offering modern accommodation in an ideal location for outdoor enthusiasts or those wishing to explore the beautiful Isle of Skye.
You will be part of our professional and dedicated team and will ensure that all youth hostel customer services and guest facility provisions are welcoming, clean, comfortable, secure, safe, accessible, and maintained to the appropriate quality standard within the resources priorities available to enhance guest experience and expectations.
- Full reception duties, general customer service, housekeeping including bed making and laundry and catering duties.
Suitable applicant will have:
- Worked successfully in a customer facing role, preferably in similar hospitality surroundings
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work as team as well as without supervision.
- Gained experience in cash handling, will be IT literate (Word, Excel, Outlook and email)
- Keen attention to details.
- Flexible approach to work in order to support the Youth Hostel including working nights or on weekends.
The following skills sets and experience would be an advantage:
- Previously experience in housekeeping or cleaning as well as reception duties or working night within hospitality, service or tourism industries
- A good knowledge of the local and surrounding area, to be able to deliver first class guest information and help with travel planning as well as giving our guests inspiration on how to make the most of their stay in the area.
- You need to be self-motivated and conscientious as our team at Portree Youth Hostel is very small and you are mostly working on your own. You will receive full induction training and support from the Hostel Manager.
- The role involves physical activities such as bed making on upper and lower bunk beds, including stripping and turning beds on a daily basis.
- A successful candidate is required to provide two satisfactory references and to apply for a Basic Disclosure before they can commence their employment with SYHA.
SYHA Hostelling Scotland is a self-funding charity operating a network of over 60 exceptional youth and affiliate hostels for the benefit of all those wishing to learn and experience what Scotland has to offer. Our unique sites provide affordable, comfortable, safe and quality-assured accommodation with a warm friendly welcome, local knowledge, activities and services for guests travelling around Scotland.
How to apply:
Further information on SYHA and to obtain an application form and job description, please visit our website. If you are interested in joining our Portree team, please complete our application form (downloadable from our website or available from HR) and send it with covering letter to: Portree Hostel Manager, c/o Portree Youth Hostel, Portree, Isle of Skye, IV51 9EW
Closing Date: 23/Aug/17
Please note SYHA operates a policy where only successful applicants will be contacted. If you do not hear from us within two weeks of the closing date you have not been shortlisted on this occasion.
SYHA has a commitment to Equal Opportunities and Diversity.
Scottish Youth Hostels Association (also known as SYHA Hostelling Scotland) is a registered Scottish charity, No. SC013138 and a company limited by guarantee, registered in Scotland, No. SC310841, Registered Office 7 Glebe Crescent, Stirling FK8 2JA.