- Sector: Engineering and Technical
- Location: Aberdeen
- Hours: Full Time
- Contact: Human Resources
- Reference: AP-027
What we can offer
Do you want to get paid for gaining a degree apprenticeship qualification with on-the-job mentoring and learning? Would you enjoy solving problems and working with some of the best minds in engineering and design? If the answer is ‘yes’, come and join Atkins as an apprentice and get your career off to the best start possible.
We are currently recruiting for an apprentice software developer in our Aberdeen office.
With Atkins, you’ll be joining a team who help to create a world where lives are enriched through the implementation of our ideas and by solving the engineering challenges of the future. Our apprentice programme will provide you with the foundations to maximise your full potential.
Could you be part of our future?
By joining us, you can expect to work on a variety of exciting projects and collaborate with our wider engineering teams to help solve some of our industry’s technical challenges across a wide range of disciplines. As part of the apprenticeship, you will:
- Work closely with our software development team to develop innovative software solutions that meet their requirements for both our external and internal clients, within time and budget constraints
- Get involved in the full software development lifecycle, from requirements gathering, design and implementation, through to testing, deployment, maintenance and support
- Deliver bespoke software applications using a variety of technologies and platforms, ranging from desktop applications and services to web and cloud solutions and Microsoft Office automation
- Solve logical and algorithmic problems, review them with the wider team and implement these solutions into working software features
- Provide support to our clients for our growing portfolio of software applications and systems
- Continuously improve your programming skills and keep up to date with the latest technologies
- Learn and adhere to our software engineering standards, procedures and best practices and provide suggestions for continuous improvement
- Build and configure test environments and carry out unit and factory acceptance tests for our developed applications
- Produce relevant user documentation and deployment guides for our applications
- Help deploy our software solutions and provide training and support to end users where required.
During your apprenticeship, no two days will be the same as you study and work with a variety of teams whilst developing the skills you need to enjoy a great future at Atkins. Spending one day at your local college, you’ll study towards a level 6 qualification, degree apprenticeship. Not only will you learn in the classroom, you’ll enjoy being part of the team as you will get involved with all kinds of projects and learn something new every day.
Who we’re looking for
Enthusiastic, inclusive and committed, you should be curious about the world around you and always want to learn more. To really succeed in the role, you will need to demonstrate that you have:
- At least 5 GCSEs or equivalent including a minimum of a grade B OR 6 in Mathematics and a C OR 4 in English Language
- Three A Levels grade C or above (ideally one being in Computing or a STEM related subject) OR alternatively a BTEC level three with a minimum of two A Levels (C and above) OR equivalent
- Technically minded with strong analytical and logical problem-solving skills
- The ability to work in a team, across a variety of projects and technologies, and to prioritise workload, ensuring the quality and timeliness of deliverables is met
- Creativity and strong communication skills for both business and technical audiences
- A practical mind, that you’re self-motivated, hardworking and reliable as you’ll be expected to work across different locations on a variety of projects
- A passion for technology and software development and willingness to learn and adapt to the rapid pace of the industry.
What to do next?
- Look at our apprentice profiles to find out more and discover what being an apprentice in Atkins is really like
- Want to know more about the benefits of working at Atkins? Visit our rewards and benefits page
- Initial closing date: Monday 18th December 2017.
NB: Some of our programmes are incredibly popular so to avoid disappointment (where some roles may close earlier) please make your application as soon as possible. Assessment centre dates: Dependent on location, assessment centres will be held from December 2017 onwards.
We can't find any similar jobs at the moment.