Senior Quality Engineer
Leonardo - Engineering the future
We are an international leader in electronic and information technologies for defence systems, aerospace, data, infrastructures, land security and protection and sustainable ’smart’ solutions. We employ 4,000 people across the UK with 2,000 based at the Edinburgh site. In addition to achieving Investors In People accreditation, we won the Queens Awards for enterprise and international trade. We are entering a period of expansion offering exciting opportunities to work at the forefront of technology. With a large proportion of our engineers having chartered status, you can look forward to working with highly skilled professionals.
Where will you find our work?
- Our technology defines the capability of the Eurofighter Typhoon
- Our products help to return service men and women safely home to their families
- Our surveillance radar helps coastguards to save lives of people lost at sea
- We provided the perimeter security for the Commonwealth Games
- Our thermal camera was used in the BBC’s Winter Watch
- We are number 1 in Airborne Infra-Red Counter Measures, in Airborne Laser Designators and in Airborne Radar outside of the US
This is an exciting opportunity to join the Quality Team based in stunning Edinburgh where Leonardo’s Radar and Advanced Targeting line of business reside. This role will include European Nations Partnership responsibilities and working with an Integrated Product Team to deliver the build programme.
The applicant shall be capable of undertaking a range of specialist Quality tasks in the areas of Product Teams or Quality Function; assisting business delivery and performance. The senior level is capable of providing advice and guidance within existing systems and procedures. Role holders will manage their own work with limited supervision and resolve problems and queries, possibly by managing others to achieve objectives. The holder may contribute to customer and vendor aspects, working within quality planning and participating in non-conformance, corrective action and continuous improvement as a specialist in these areas.<_o3a_p />
- Contribute in delivering Equipment and Processes to Specification and Internal or Customer Requirements.
- Reporting, Analysis and maintenance of Quality Failure Incidences to closure.
- Procurement and Supplier Interface assistance.
- Supporting the business processes by undertaking specialist quality work self-sufficiently, such as:
- Engineering Support and Design Reviews
- Audit and Reporting
- Conduct First Article Inspection / Verification acceptance
- Final Test, Workmanship and Product acceptance
- Quality Requirement Capture
- Production Readiness Reviews
- Attendance at Failure Review and Material Review Boards
- Plan and prioritise own activities and may coordinate team activities to ensure specific instructions are completed and time is utilised effectively.
- Analyse and communicate data to support the understanding of information and decision making.
- Take ownership of and solve complex problems and enquiries without supervision to ensure satisfaction of internal or external customers and business improvement.
Skills, Qualifications & Experience Required
- A Bachelor’s Degree [or equivalent] in Engineering, Quality, Manufacturing or experience in Defence Electronics or similarly “complex” industry.
- Be able to demonstrate experience in Governance, AS9100 / ISO9001 and Continuous improvement.
- Be able to demonstrate knowledge in applying Quality Tools such as Root Cause Corrective Action, Pattern Fault Lifecycle, Process Mapping, Verification.
- Be a logical thinker, capable of harvesting complex data into actions with a practical solutions that supports business goals, in ‘the language of the business’.
- Have good interpersonal skills and a collaborative working style across all functions of the business.
- Be able to demonstrate experience in working with Customers and Suppliers.
This is mainly an office based role using display screen equipment but you will also work in development labs and in production areas Inc. a clean room environment.
Working to tight deadlines either on a regular or ad hoc basis will be required. Occasional travel within the UK and abroad with overnight stays may be required.
The nature of the tasks involved means that any candidate being considered for the position must be capable of achieving full SC security clearance and in addition the candidate will require access to caveated information such as UK eyes only and ITAR.<_o3a_p />