Design and Manufacture Graduate Level Apprenticeship – Software Apprentice
Are you looking for an employer who will sponsor you through your qualifications, whilst providing valuable and exciting on-the-job experience within a global, innovative and industry leading organisation?
Assessment centre dates: February & March
Closing date: 22 January
What you’ll be doing
Thales Glasgow designs a range of state-of-the-art optronics solutions for the some of the most technically advanced defence and security platforms in the world.
As a Software Engineer in our Glasgow office, you will work as part of a development team and be responsible for technical contributions towards leading edge naval or vehicles based products. This is a great opportunity to work on state of the art defence equipment and develop the latest sighting systems for the MoD and a wide range of customers around the world. This position will challenge your skills and you will have the flexibility to mould the role to suit your strengths and career development interests.
As a software apprentice, you can expect to be learning across the complete lifecycle of software engineering including:
- Understanding customer needs and translating them into requirements.
- Specifying and designing software to meet these requirements and those of the greater system.
- Developing software using industry best-practices including OO and design patterns, integration of open-source components, applying agile development techniques such as unit testing, TDD, pair-programming, peer reviews, continuous integration and automated test.
- Working in a software team to develop software that can meet performance and safety constraints and may integrate with hardware, FPGAs, sensors and network applications using DDS, Lean Services and other distributed technologies.
- Our technology stacks include C and C++, C#, Rhapsody for C++, Linux, VxWorks, Windows Embedded, Qt, DDS and Python.
- Working within the Software Team in researching and applying state of the art processes to deliver our software faster and better.
As a software apprentice you will be studying towards a BSc (Hons.) in Software Development at Strathclyde University, following the IT and Software pathway. For the duration of this 4 year programme you will combine university studies with practical application, working within our engineering function in Glasgow. You will attend Strathclyde University once a month, with additional tuition provided through online delivery. At the end of the apprenticeship you be working as a software engineer within the engineering function.
Who we’re looking for
We are looking for enthusiastic individuals who are motivated, committed and keen to learn. A self-starter who is able to manage their time, show initiative and has a genuine interest in software engineering and Thales. Successful candidates will show self-discipline and an aspiration to achieve a degree qualification.
Four Higher grade qualifications (AABB) and must include Maths and Physics.
Thales supports Smart Working which is an approach to organising work that aims to drive greater efficiency and effectiveness in achieving job outcomes. It combines flexibility, autonomy and collaboration, while optimising tools and working environments for employees – ask for more details at your interview.
In line with Thales' Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.