Reference Code: EDIN07318
Position: Duty Manager (Maternity Cover)
Location: Edinburgh Central Youth Hostel, 9 Haddington Place, Edinburgh, EH7 4AL
Hours per week: 40 hours
Accommodation: This is a live-out position.
Contract: Fixed term, immediate start for 6 months (with possibility for extension)
We are one of Scotland’s leading accommodation providers, offering guests great value accommodation and excellent customer service in some of the finest locations in Scotland.
With youth hostels in key locations around Scotland, our team love to help our guests, ensuring they have the best possible experience and take home memories to last a lifetime.
We offer fantastic opportunities for motivated individuals wanting to develop a career in Scotland’s thriving hospitality and tourism sectors.
We are currently looking for an enthusiastic individual who wishes to join our team at our Edinburgh Central Youth Hotel as a Duty Manager (Maternity Leave) in supporting our team to build success, share ideas and lead the way in helping our guests feel welcome.
The main responsibilities of this post:
Supporting General Manager in all aspects of day-to-day running of the hostel. This includes:
- supervising the operation of reception, housekeeping and catering developments to ensure high standards are being delivered to guests in line with our customer service charter and employee promise
- administrative tasks including back office data process management
- overseeing the recruitment, training, development and supervision of staff and volunteers
- development and implementation of procedures, ensuring compliance with legislative and company requirements, particularly those concerned with health and safety
- assisting in developing and maintaining positive relationships with the local residential and business communities
Suitable candidates will:
- Work as an effective member of the team, be ready and willing to assist in any way necessary to ensure the team is well supported.
- Have strong leadership and supervisory skills, excellent communication skills and commercial awareness as well as hand-on approach to assist staff in day-to-day operational running of hostel.
- Have excellent and demonstrable customer service and communication skills
- Have experience in a similar role within hospitality, tourism or service industry, as well as
catering experience and excellent knowledge of Health & Safety at Work including COSHH, HACCP and fire evacuation procedures.
- Have numeracy, good IT literacy including working knowledge of MSOffice
- This role would be suitable for an individual who is looking to progress into a hospitality management. Accordingly experience in the hospitality, tourism or service industry at a supervisory level including training and performance management experience, within a busy hospitality environment would be an advantage.
- The role also involves working shifts (i.e. early morning/late evening as well as weekend shifts/public holidays).
- The provision of customer service during busy times can be demanding, including emergency cover on short notice. Flexibility and adaptability as well as a can-do attitude and the ability to work under pressure will be an important attribute of the candidate.
- Please be advised that a successful candidate is required to provide 2 satisfactory references and to apply for basic disclosure clearance prior to commencing employment.
If you believe you are ready to deliver on the above whilst taking your career to the next level please apply as we would love to hear from you!
About Hostelling Scotland:
We are a self-funding charity operating a network of over 60 exceptional youth and affiliate hostels for the benefit of all those wishing to learn and experience what Scotland has to offer. Our unique sites provide affordable, comfortable, safe and quality-assured accommodation with a warm friendly welcome, local knowledge, activities and services for customers travelling around Scotland.
As a not-for-profit charitable organisation, we encourage guests to join Hostelling Scotland to support our charitable youth development and volunteering programmes, giving young people, who otherwise wouldn’t have the opportunity, the chance to discover Scotland’s heritage, and enable them to develop their skills for learning, life and work.
As an accommodation provider Hostelling Scotland operates in a fast paced, highly competitive and constantly evolving marketplace. Working with Hostelling Scotland is more than just a job. Join us and help us make a difference!
How to apply:
Please visit our website to obtain job description and application form to apply for this position.
If you think you have the skills and experience to match our requirements please forward your application with covering letter to Janet Gagen, General Manager, c/o Edinburgh Central Youth Hostel, 9 Haddington Place, Edinburgh, EH7 4AL.
Please note Hostelling Scotland operates a policy where only successful applicants will be contacted. If you do not hear from us within two weeks of the closing date you have not been shortlisted on this occasion.
Hostelling Scotland has a commitment to Equal Opportunities and Diversity
Scottish Youth Hostels Association (trading as Hostelling Scotland) is a registered Scottish charity, No. SC013138 and a company limited by guarantee, registered in Scotland, No. SC310841, Registered Office 7 Glebe Crescent, Stirling FK8 2JA.
We can't find any similar jobs at the moment.