- Sector: Hospitality, Catering and Tourism
- Location: Glasgow
- From £7.83 per hour
- Hours: Full Time Contract
- Contact: Duty Manager
- Reference: GLAS10518
Job Title: Hostel Assistant
Location: Glasgow Youth Hostel, 7/8 Park Terrace, Glasgow, G3 6BY
Hours per week: 40 hours per week
Salary: £7.83 per hour
Contract: Fixed term, immediate start for 23 months
Accommodation: This is a live-out position
We are one of Scotland’s leading accommodation providers, offering guests great value accommodation and excellent customer service in some of the finest locations in Scotland.
With youth hostels in key locations around Scotland, our team love to help our guests, ensuring they have the best possible experience and take home memories to last a lifetime.
We offer fantastic opportunities for motivated individuals wanting to develop a career in Scotland’s thriving hospitality and tourism sectors.
We are currently looking for an enthusiastic individual who wishes to join our team at our Glasgow Youth Hotel situated in West End, overlooking Kelvingrove Park and Glasgow University.
The main responsibility of this post:
- To ensure that all youth hostel customer services and guest facility provisions are welcoming, clean, comfortable, secure, safe, accessible, and maintained to the appropriate quality standard within the resources priorities available to enhance guest experience and expectations
- A full reception service to hostel guests including check-in/out, handling customer enquiries and providing information, guidance and support for guests and their onward travels, general customer service in line with our Customer Service Charter.
- Housekeeping, laundry and catering duties, e.g. providing assistance to the chef during breakfast, dinners and function service, waiting tables, cooking and preparing foodstuffs as well as cleaning and washing up.
Suitable applicant will have:
- Worked successfully in a similar customer facing role with previous experience in hospitality industry.
- Excellent customer service skill as well as excellent communication skills, both verbally and written.
- Keen attention to details.
- Cash handling experience
- Good numerical and IT skills including good working knowledge of Microsoft Office and being able to accurately update third party search engines for Hostelling Scotland business.
- Ability to work as an effective team member as well as unsupervised.
- Good understanding of food and hygiene practice.
The following skills sets and experience would be an advantage:
- A good knowledge of the local and surrounding area, to be able to deliver first class guest information and help with travel planning as well as giving our guests inspiration on how to make the most of their stay in the area.
- You will be trained in all areas and will rotate through a variety of shifts to ensure everyone is capable of covering the various aspects of the hostel running.
- You must be capable and willing to assist each other and maintain team morale to ensure a positive environment for guest experience.
- The post holder may undertake occasional night shift duties.
- The role also involves some physical activities such as bed making of bunk beds with upper and lower beds, including stripping and turning beds.
- A successful candidate is required to provide satisfactory reference and to apply for a Basic Disclosure before they can commence their employment.
About Hostelling Scotland:
We are a self-funding charity operating a network of over 60 exceptional youth and affiliate hostels for the benefit of all those wishing to learn and experience what Scotland has to offer. Our unique sites provide affordable, comfortable, safe and quality-assured accommodation with a warm friendly welcome, local knowledge, activities and services for customers travelling around Scotland.
As an accommodation provider Hostelling Scotland operates in a fast paced, highly competitive and constantly evolving marketplace. Working with Hostelling Scotland is more than just a job. Join us and help us make a difference!
How to apply:
Please visit our website to obtain further details including downloading an application form or learn about how we process applicants’ personal information. If you think you have the skills and experience to match our requirements please forward your application with covering letter to Duty Manager, Glasgow Youth Hostel, 7/8 Park Terrace, Glasgow, G3 6BY.
Closing Date: 29/Jun18
Please note Hostelling Scotland operates a policy where only successful applicants will be contacted. If you do not hear from us within two weeks of the closing date you have not been shortlisted on this occasion.
Hostelling Scotland has a commitment to Equal Opportunities and Diversity.
Scottish Youth Hostels Association (also known as Hostelling Scotland) is a registered Scottish charity, No. SC013138 and a company limited by guarantee, registered in Scotland, No. SC310841, Registered Office 7 Glebe Crescent, Stirling FK8 2JA.