- Sector: Construction, Trades and Property
- Specialism: Engineering
- Location: Birmingham
- Hours: Full Time
- Contact: Human Resources
- Reference: e1u06
The Chief Engineer is entirely responsible for the technical competency of a project. A senior member of the project team, reporting to the Project Manager, you will be responsible for overseeing the timely execution of operations in both the pre-construction and construction phases of the project. You will occasionally be required to act as Project Manager during periods of illness or holiday.
The role requires a strong leader who can manage a team of engineers and works staff to deliver the project. You will manage a high level of interfaces between internal departments and external agencies, such as architects, engineers, construction workers, subcontractors, client agents, clerk of works and site staff.
You will also identify and mitigate programme risks, and identify and address any shortcomings in our processes or systems.
Responsibilities of the Chief Engineer include, but are not limited to:
• Ensuring the works are technically compliant with the contract documents and construction issue specifications and drawings
• Being responsible for overseeing the effective preparation and maintenance of the programme
• Keeping the Project Manager informed of progress to programme and potential areas of risk and opportunity on a daily basis
• Contributing to the procurement process by reviewing and managing the writing of the scopes of works for each package with a particular emphasis on identifying and eradicating package misalignment or potential for uncontrolled growth
• Coordinating design information requirements and assisting in the preparation of the procurement schedule
• Preparing internal and external reports pertaining to the project status
• Overseeing all onsite and offsite construction and monitoring compliance with building, safety and environmental regulations
• Ensuring that all aspects of temporary works are considered and addressed prior to the particular onsite works activity commencement. (This should be managed by the appointed Temporary Works Co-ordinator)
• Ensuring that method statements, risk assessments and inspection and test plans (paying particular attention to quality requirements) are reviewed and approved
• Ensuring quality construction standards and suitable construction techniques are adopted and maintained in order to provide a defect-free end product
• Coordinating responses to queries raised by insurers, client, external stakeholders, designers, subcontractors, client representatives and funders
• Producing and maintaining a project programme covering the design, procurement and construction activities. This will typically be through working with the project planner and the rest of the project team
• Ensuring the production of an as-built programme
Candidates should ideally have a degree in civil or structural engineering, construction management or a related field along with:
• Extensive experience within the construction industry
• Proven working experience in the management of construction activities
• The ability to demonstrate a technical, engineering background
• Good knowledge of construction processes, means and methods
• Good knowledge of building products, construction details and relevant rules, regulations and quality standards
• Knowledge and understanding of forms of contract, (e.g NEC3, JCT D&B)
• A good understanding of all facets of the construction process
• Familiarity with construction software packages
This is your chance to develop an exciting and varied career path in a family-owned company which treats its people with courtesy and respect.
We offer excellent benefits for our employees including a Contributory Pension and Life Assurance Scheme, discounted gym membership, staff discounts, 25 days holiday per year plus statutory holidays, a Cycle to Work Scheme, private healthcare, childcare vouchers and an Employee Assistance Programme.
Sir Robert McAlpine is an equal opportunities employer.
We can't find any similar jobs at the moment.