- Contact: Human Resources
- Reference: 283144
Job Description- Business Rates Manager
Job purpose summary:
GL Hearn has a current opportunity for a business rates manager to join their team. Your experience will be to fully understand the complexities of calculating rate liabilities together with rating appeal and rate relief application processes in England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Eire and the Channel Islands.
You will offer excellent working knowledge of the Payment Management module on GLHIMS and the ability to correctly interpret the data contained within the Appeals modules. Utilise the report function in GLHIMS where appropriate.
- You will be applying for Discretionary rate relief applications in conjunction with the client and negotiating with billing authorities and the valuation office agency.
- Additional responsibilities will be:
- Implementing a variety of empty rate mitigation strategies and securing void business rate savings.
- Inspecting properties within clients' portfolios in order to ascertain business rate saving opportunities
- Liaise with Local Authorities and Valuation office Agency in relation to applications for business rate relief and completion notice appeals.
- Maintain professional working relationships with clients and colleagues nationwide
- Verification of rates bills issued by billing authorities in respect of properties throughout England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland. Resolving queries where rates bills are not approved.
- Liaising with clients and with billing authorities to correct matters relating to occupational changes, changes to the rating list and exemptions and reliefs.
- Ensuring all portfolio movement is actioned appropriately.
- The creation and delivery of quality and accurate reports to clients and senior management.
- The development and maintenance of client relationships, including attendance at client meetings when appropriate.
- Meeting all KPIs as set out in Client Contracts and Service Level Agreements to agreed deadlines.
- Assisting in carrying out one-off audits of historic rate payments.
Qualifications and Essential Skills:
- IRRV (Level 3) Qualified.
- Membership of IRRV and evidence of CPD.
- Ability to manipulate large volumes of data in Excel, perform look ups to match data accurately and combine sheets.
About GL Hearn
Our team is the UK's largest and we offer a comprehensive rating service that includes:
- Review and payment of liabilities
- Future forecasting
- Identification of opportunities to reduce liabilities through:
- Valuation appeals
- Correct application of exemptions and reliefs
- Empty rate mitigation strategies
- Challenging effective dates for “new” properties
- Lobbying directly with the government
We recruit directly from Local Authorities, the Valuation Office Agency and Assessors, to ensure we have the right people available to meet your needs. As many of our clients will testify, this is of vital importance and just one of the reasons why so many of them have been with us for decades.