- Contact: Human Resources
- Reference: 287108
Business Rates Referencer
We currently have an opening for an property referencer to join our team in Birmingham. You will responsible for surveying various property types throughout Birmingham and local areas. You will support our surveyors at GL Hearn in their negotiations in seeking to secure agreement of business rate assessments. This position will involve a fair amount of travel locally.
- Surveying various property types throughout England, Wales and Scotland to support the surveyors at GL Hearn in their negotiations in seeking to secure agreement of business rate assessments
- Maintaining and updating the firm's computer systems with details of surveys, completing pro forma of measurements, photographs and drawings of the properties inspected
- The role will involve working within the Business Rates Team but will be require independent working out on site and in writing up referencing notes. Work may be office based or home based subject to appropriate Health & Safety audits as required
Measures of good performance:
- Clear and accurate surveys of the properties inspected
- Timely reporting to colleagues on inspections
- Accurate maintenance of the GL Hearn Information Management System (GLHIMS), responding to business rates enquires as well as identifying opportunities for rates mitigation and other services offered by GL Hearn
Knowledge and skills required:
- Knowledge of valuation for the purposes of preparing areas for business rates and in general for other surveying functions such as rent review, insurance and basic building surveys
- Knowledge of reliefs, exemptions and liability mitigation strategies would be of assistance
- Understanding of rate liability calculations is not essential. Key skills will include use of Computer, Disto measuring devices, digital camera and interpretation of plans
- IT skills (Word, Excel, database maintenance).
- Experience of property inspections. Knowledge of the property market in major centres would be an advantage.
- GL Hearn part of the Capita group is one of the UK's leading property consultancies providing trusted commercial property advice to the public sector, developers, investors and occupiers. Our goal is a simple one - to understand our clients' business, bring our expertise and enthusiasm to bear and work with them to create, develop, protect and enhance their business interests.
- Our strategy informs our approach to any given project and we are fortunate at GL Hearn to be one of the country's top 20 multi-disciplinary consultancies with highly experienced specialists in valuation, investment, planning and building consultancy. Our clients place their trust in us for actionable advice and it is this aspect of our service that has kept us thriving as a business from our modest beginnings in 1923 to the successful national organisation we have become today