- Contact: Human Resources
- Reference: 287944
Principal Infrastructure Engineer
An opportunity has arisen to appoint a Principal Engineer within our Glasgow Mutli-Discipline Civil Engineering Team. The main purpose of this role will be to support the Project Director by taking a lead role on Highways Design projects, deputising for Project Director as and when required and being and integral part of the team supporting generally across drainage, flood alleviation, general Civils and Principal Designer Duties under CDM 2015 projects from Feasibility through to Implementation Stages, including the development of Works Information and Site Information.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual who will play a lead role in developing and growing our local Highway Design capabilities to successfully deliver our exciting forward programme of Infrastructure Projects.
This role will be based in our offices in Glasgow. However, travelling may be required to other Capita offices or Client offices.
The successful candiate will be required to:
- Take a lead role in the delivery of Highways Infrastructure projects ensuring quality and timely delivery are at the forefront.
- Deputise for the Project Director as and when required, which may include chairing of team meetings, financial reporting and other line management duties.
- Ensure successful technical delivery of projects is met.
- Ensure they are fully conversant with company requirements and in sound project management.
- Assist in the development of links with other areas of the Capita business to maximise Highways Infrastructure opportunities.
- Engage with internal Capita staff (in other teams or sectors) to develop and maintain relationships in similar fields and across other services.
- Be vigilant in ensuring that financial outcomes are achieved or exceeded for those projects managed by the Project Director through sound business and financial management.
- Take a proactive approach to the reporting and mitigation of matters which present a risk to the achievement of successful delivery of projects.
- Assist the Project Director, and Regional Director with the development of business relating to Highway and Transportation activities in the Region.
- Assist in the management, development and coaching of staff within the Infrastructure team to achieve high levels of performance;
- Ensure all projects/services are delivered in accordance with Capita's BMS system
In addition, the post-holder will be expected to undertake other reasonable duties, as required by the business.
- Have Civil Engineering Degree or equivalent with over 8 years experience in a leading design role.
- Have as a minimum ICE Incorporated Engineer status (IEng) or be committed to achieve this within 12 months of appointment. Ideally the candidate would be Chartered Status through ICE or CIHT.
- Be experienced user of Windes drainage modelling design software and Highway Alignment design software (eg 3D Civils or MX).
- Be experienced in working with Developers and Local/Water Authorities on Highway/Drainage adoption and approval processes.
- Carry out the Project Management role to lead on the successful delivery a range of projects. This will include responsibility for programming (using Microsoft Project), resource management and team building.
- Be AutoCAD proficient and experienced in overall highway/drainage design and detailing requirements.
- Be flexible to work across the full range of Civils Design areas and adopt an integrated approach with our Operations colleagues through Early Contractor Involvement during design and working together during the site works.
- Have a good working knowledge of DMRB and current drainage design standards and procedures.
- Have excellent working knowledge of NEC3 contract development and administration/delivery.
- Have good presentation and communication skills.
- Business development experience and use this to support the Project Director and Regional Director with proactive support on bidding and business development in relation to Highway Engineering work.
- Detailed knowledge of the preparation of Contract Documentation for a variety of popular contracts used in the commissioning of construction work.
- Prince2 Practitioner
- MEng or equivalent in relevant discipline
- Chartered Engineer status if not already achieved.
- Have experience of complying with Designers Duties under CDM and also acting in an Assistant role on specific CDM-C commissions
- Have good report writing skills.
- Negotiation skills
- Problem solving / analysis
- Appropriate Technical skills
- Relevant IT skills
- Communication Skills
- Fee preparation and project forecasting
- Project management
- Industry knowledge is good
- Commercial awareness
- Strong Awareness of Health & Safety considerations
Expected Professional Behaviours
- Adaptability and flexibility
- Takes initiative
- Able to motivate people
- Able to mentor professionals
- Able to provide excellent professional/ technical advice
- Lead / be responsible for the project performance
- Drives own learning & development
- Customer focused
- Can performance manage
- 37.5 hours a week
- Annual leave - typically 25 days
- The successful candidate will be encouraged to develop their career within Capita including support for obtaining further relevant professional qualifications.
- Access to many Capita Group benefits including one relevant professional subscriptions paid for, Cycle to Work Scheme, discounted retail vouchers, various private insurance schemes available.