- Location: IV30 1BX
- £53,647 to £58,717 per annum, SJC Grade 13 (36.25 hrs)
- Hours: Full Time
- Contact: Please see description
- Reference: MOR03612
The Early Years Service Manager will provide strategic leadership, vision and the effective management necessary to shape an expanding Early Years’ Service into one that focuses on quality improvement and works with others to prioritise the learning, development and wellbeing needs of children and families. This will include understanding the needs of children and families to develop and implement strategy, establishing and monitoring systems to drive improvement, and ensuring that resource is effectively utilised to improve outcomes.
The Service Manager will initially work closely with the Early Learning & Childcare Expansion project team to 2021/22 to develop an expanded, high quality service. The Manager will manage the operational team during the transition period and will manage a fully operational service from 2021/22 onwards, taking full responsibility for ensuring there are sufficient high quality early learning and childcare places for eligible children across Moray.
The role requires close collaborations across the council, partnership, voluntary and private sectors with a view to working to shared ambitions.
- Lead on all strategic, operational and employment matters relating to the management, quality improvement, and performance of the early years provision across Moray with sound governance to ensure improved outcomes for children and families in Moray.
- In collaboration with the Head of Integrated Children’s Services/Head of Schools and Curriculum Development and other Senior Managers, develop, implement and evaluate strategies and policies in order to achieve local and national priorities.
- Ensure procedures and processes are in place for the review and on-going evaluation of the Early Years provision across Moray through data analysis.
- Manage a service budget of up to £14million per annum, taking responsibility and being accountable for the efficient deployment of all section resources, including staffing in the service.
- Provide direction, leadership and line management to the operational Early Years team to ensure that the department is able to fulfil its commitments to achieving Council objectives as well as local and national priorities. The full team will be recruited during the transition period from 2018 and 2020.
- Ensure the Early Years services are managed in accordance with legislation, external scrutiny bodies such as Education Scotland, SSSC and the Care Inspectorate, and Council Policy.
- Support and contribute where appropriate to the operational and strategic delivery of work across Education and Social Care and the Council.
Significant relevant experience at senior management level.
Experience of leading a partnership approach to the development, monitoring and review of processes and quality improvement.
Experience of developing and implementing performance monitoring procedures and using information to support continuous improvement.
Experience of financial planning and management.
Educated to degree or equivalent level.
Ability to translate strategic vision and outcomes into implementation.
Clear thinking and good analytical abilities.
Excellent leadership qualities
Effective management, delivery and organisational skills.
Ability to collate, interpret and analyse data from a variety of sources, write reports, make recommendations and use data to inform service delivery and improvements.
Ability to develop effective external relationships and effective partnership working.
Ability to take a lead role while empowering colleagues to deliver the service.
Ability to effectively design and develop organisational policy and long term strategies in order to improve service delivery.
Able to work effectively under pressure and to meet prescribed deadlines.
You will be expected to travel efficiently and effectively between various work locations within Moray to meet the operational requirements of the Service. Due to the rural nature of Moray this is normally undertaken by use of a car.
Have the ability to deal sensitively with others, particularly whilst under pressure.
Ability to treat people with respect; focus on equality, social inclusion and promote diversity throughout the organisation.
Ability to listen to others.
Able to quickly form professional and productive working relationships.
Ability to work flexibly to meet the needs and demands of the service. This may include attending meetings and events outwith office hours, including periods away from home, when required.
Closing Date: 21 December 2018
Starting Salary: £53647
£28.46 per hour
36.25 hours per week
Proposed interview date - 16 & 28 January 2019
For further information, contact Joanna Shirriffs - 01343 563499
Applications must be made online at myjobscotland.gov.uk