- Sector: Hospitality, Catering and Tourism
- Location: Edinburgh
- From £19,000 per annum
- Hours: Full Time
- Contact: Human Resources
- Reference: HOT05VPR
The stories begin here at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh – The Caledonian...
Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh – The Caledonian, known locally as the Caley, was built in 1903 and is one of Edinburgh's most significant landmarks. Standing proudly at the West End of Princes Street, this former Victorian railway building hotel nestles in the shadow of Edinburgh Castle and its reputation for style and excellence has attracted international visitors and notable personalities for over one hundred years.
Our 2 Restaurants, The Pompadour by Galvin & Galvin Brasserie de Luxe, from Michelin-starred chef brothers Chris and Jeff, offers world-class culinary experiences. The Pompadour has views of Edinburgh Castle and exquisite hand-painted wall panels, and is one of Scotland's most magnificent dining rooms. Our Galvin Brasserie de Luxe is a slice of Paris in the heart of Edinburgh with a theatrical crustacea showcase forming part of the large, central bar.
Why join the Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh – The Caledonian as a Junior Sommelier?
- Personal Development programmes for every level
- Working in an environment where creativity is highly appreciated
- Yearly team outings
- Do not forget a competitive starting salary
- Service charge and tips
- 28 days holidays including bank holidays (increasing yearly)
- Complimentary meals on duty and uniforms provided
- Worldwide travel perks - up to 30 nights at discounted rates over 5,000 properties in more than 100 countries and 50% Food & Beverage discounts
- Industry leading benefits including contributory pension scheme, discounted dental and health cover, and high street discounts
We look forward to explaining in detail the range of excellent benefits that you would expect from a global hotel organization like Hilton.
What will it be like to work for Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts?
Waldorf Astoria provides guests the exceptional environment and the personalised attention of True Waldorf Service that creates a singular experience.
If you understand the value of personalised attention and know how to treat even the most extraordinarily different experiences with the same rich level of customer service, you may just be the person we are looking for!
What will I be doing?
As a Sommelier, you are responsible for recommending wines and having a thorough and current knowledge of wines to deliver an excellent Guest and Member experience. A Sommelier will also be required to assist in achieving department targets. Specifically, you will be responsible for performing the following tasks to the highest standards:
- Provide professional and current knowledge of wines to guests
- Recommend wines to accompany relevant dishes to patrons
- Describe and up-sell wines to provide excellent customer experience
- Suggest wines to accompany new menus in line with financial budget
- Project a professional manner with an emphasis on hospitality and guest service
- Ensure accurate billing
- Strive to achieve departmental targets
- Serve Alcoholic/non-Alcoholic beverages in conjunction with licensing/liquor regulations for residents and non-residents
- Comply with hotel security, fire regulations and all health and safety legislation
- Attend training provided by the hotel
What are we looking for?
A Sommelier working with Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian is always working on behalf of our Guests and working with other Team Members. To successfully fill this role, you should maintain the attitude, behaviours, skills, and values that follow:
- Previous experience in a senior wine waiting role or in a Junior Sommelier capacity, preferably in the luxury market.
- Impeccable grooming standards
- Excellent communication skills
- Passion and commitment to delivering exceptional levels of service
- Ability to work on your own or in teams
It would be advantageous in this position for you to have any Sommelier qualifications
What will it be like to work for Hilton?
Our teams deliver exceptional hospitality experiences to our Guests every day & their contributions are at the core of our success. We're committed to helping our teams 'Thrive@Hilton', to ensure we're our best self, every day.
Our benefit programmes help to build a strong foundation to achieve this...
BODY - We build a strong foundation for health & well being:
Retirement plan, life assurance, healthcare cash plan, dental insurance & eye care
MIND - We seek lifelong learning & meaningful leadership:
Childcare vouchers, CMP & CAP, AXA employee assistance programme
SPIRIT - We dare to dream & connect with purpose:
Team member room rates globally, perks at work package
We are Hilton, We are Hospitality!
Contract - Permanent (39hrs per week)
Salary - £19k per annum + sevice charge (10%) & Hilton perks & benefits
In line with the Asylum and Immigration Act 1996, we require all applicants to have the eligibility to live and work in the United Kingdom. Documentation will be required at interview stage
Check Out Similar Jobs