- Contact: Moray Finch
- Reference: DGM2019
Reporting to: The General Manager
Mull and Iona Community Trust () was established in 1997 and is considered one of the more successful development trusts in Scotland. Currently employing around 30 full and part-time staff with a turnover of approximately £450,000 (excluding capital projects), the Trust is based at a purpose built community hub and business centre in Craignure.
Mull and Iona Community Trust (MICT) is a membership organisation managed by a board of volunteer directors drawn from the membership. MICT responds to the many needs of the local community and strives to improve the quality of life on Mull and Iona delivering projects ranging from Mull and Iona Environmentally Sensitive Solutions (MESS) charity shops, housing, community transport, recycling, countryside ranger services, renewable energy, a pontoon, training and capacity building. Diversification has been a key to the organisation’s success.
Purpose of the role:
As part of the senior leadership team, of an ever expanding social enterprise, the Deputy General Manager will provide support to the General Manager and the whole organisation, with a particular responsibility for Human Resources in addition to leading on development and implementation of certain projects. Staff working on various MICT projects will report either to the General Manager or Deputy General Manager.
- To work alongside the General Manager and to deputise as necessary in the absence of the general manager
- To be responsible for Human Resources, staff contracts, annual appraisals, company policies
- To provide advice to residents and local groups and organisations
- To help promote the work, vision and capability of Mull and Iona Community Trust
- To represent the Trust at conferences and other events locally and nationally
- To work flexibly as part of a larger and very hands-on team
Aspects of the post will include supporting the management of:
a) The activities of the Trust:
- To strengthen existing and establish new profit generating projects and entrepreneurial activities
- To support the General Manager in ensuring regulatory compliance
- To assist the Board, General Manager and staff team with prioritising activities
- To deputise for the General Manager and provide clear and concise information to the monthly Board meetings or its sub groups to facilitate decision making
b) Staff and volunteers
- To prepare, issue and file new staff contracts and to monitor compliance with the recruitment policy.
- To prepare, issue and file end of contract notices when required
- To prepare new and review and update company policies
- To ensure that all line managers carryout annual appraisals of all staff reporting to them and where necessary interim appraisals and regular 1:2:1 meetings and that records of appraisals are kept on file
- To provide line management support to staff working on projects allocated to the Deputy General Manager
- To continue the development of positive leadership for the staff team, ensuring they are valued and supported
c) Funding and Fundraising:
- To identify and develop income streams both for the sustainability of MICT and for the communities of Mull and Iona
- To provide local community groups with general and funding advice and to help them prepare funding applications for locally generated projects
For full details, job description, application form please visit