- Sector: Forestry
- Location: PA66 6BH
- £24,000 to £28,000 per annum, Access to an electric car, for work use.
- Hours: Full Time Permanent
- Contact: Morven Gibson
- Reference: SWMID01
Purpose of Post
- To ensure sustainable and profitable timber production and to manage SWMID's conservation and recreation objectives in the forest.
- To plan and co-ordinate key forestry operations and infrastructure development, both through direct working and overseeing sub-contractors.
- To explore potential for new access and enterprise projects at the forest under the direction of the SWMID board and General Manager.
- Liaise with SWMID's General Manager and Board to agree a schedule of work priorities and with specific project partners.
- Organise procurement of plants, materials and contract labour within an agreed budget.
- Gain knowledge needed to follow relevent legislation, policies and procedures.
- Maintain a site diary and time-sheet to record resource expenditure, task progression, observations and recommendations for future projects.
2. Forest Management
- Plan and implement work programmes, which incorporate sustainable management principles, to deliver agreed operational priorities.
- Plan, oversee and contribute to on-site contracts works as required, such as the construction of a new perimeter deer fence.
- Implement annual restock work programmes including pest impact surveys.
- Undertake routine facilities inspections (drains, roads, paths, fences) and implement remedial works to maintain safe access.
- Explore the potential for more local, volunteer-led conservation, heritage, education, lifelong learning and recreational access projects within the forest.
- Investigate and compile costed proposals for new facilities and/or product development from the forest.
- Assist with the set-up and delivery of community and stakeholder events
- Attend training courses and meetings to develop skills, knowledge and competencies applicable to the contract
Terms and Conditions
- This post is part funded by the Argyll and the Islands LEADER programme and the salary is £24,000-£28,000 (depending on experience).
- The successful candidate will be based in SWMID's offices at the Columba Centre in Fionnphort, Ross of Mull but outdoor working onsite is also required.
- This post will report to SWMID's General Manager.
- This is a fixed term contract between Febuary 2019 - August 2020 (18 months) but it is hoped that the post will continute beyond this time.
- 35 hours per week, normally 9am-5pm Mon-Fri. However, due to seasonal peaks and the need to attend SWMID board meetings, occasional evening and weekend work is required.
- SWMID has an equal opportunities policy and is committed to giving full and fair consideration to people with disabilities.
- SWMID are open to considering a "job-share" proposal.
- Full, current driving licence.
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of practical countryside work (i.e. forestry, agriculture, fencing, path construction, planting)
- Familiarity with Health and Safety requirements and environmental control measures(completing risk assessments, method statements, lone working procedures, relevant machine certification/competence requirements).
- Motivated, organised and flexible.
- IT proficient
- Ability to communicate appropriately and effectively.
- Comfortable with both team work and working independently.
- Able to work safely and effectively outdoors
- Time management
- Committed to community ownership and sustainable local development.
For a full job description and application, or if you are thinking about applying but aren’t sure whether the job is right for you, please email Morven on , phone 01681 700 021 or drop into the Columba Centre in Fionnphort.
Closing date: 20th January 2019
We can't find any similar jobs at the moment.