- Contact: Human Resources
- Reference: 86257
We're looking for a Legal Counsel to join us in Edinburgh or London
- For a strong and competent legal professional, this is a chance to join our high quality in-house EU & Competition legal team and support a range of projects across the bank
- The breadth of the team's work will give you an excellent platform to gain experience, covering a wide variety of projects relating to competition
- The team has a strong culture of personal and professional development, and you'll benefit from coaching and skill building sessions, as well as learning in role
What you'll do
This role will see your supporting the Head of EU & Competition in delivering the legal strategy, working with a range of stakeholders and legal colleagues to ensure the timely, effective and efficient delivery of all issues, projects and initiatives.
Day to day in your role, you'll:
- Assist in providing expert, accurate and cost effective legal advice to our franchises and functions on competition law concerns, delivered in a commercial, user-friendly and efficient manner within agreed timeframes
- Manage external legal costs and drive a culture of disciplined cost management and controls, using tender processes and other cost management tools
- Strive for continuous improvements in the EU & Competition team's operating practices and processes, including identifying efficiencies, improvements and opportunities to reduce cost
- Ensure that technical skills, experience, best practice and know-how are shared across Legal, and that we draw on the expertise of other teams in Legal where relevant to ensure the programme's successful completion
The skills you'll need
You'll be a qualified solicitor or barrister with notable experience providing legal and commercial advice relating to transactions and projects, either in-house or in a reputable UK law firm. You'll have experience relating to competition law, with demonstrable in-depth knowledge and experience of competition law matters an advantage.
We'll also be looking for:
- Knowledge of the principal regulatory and legal framework within which the RBS Group operates
- The ability to work independently, including providing complex advice directly to clients
- Some knowledge of the bank’s activities and the commercial environment we operate in
- The ability to establish credibility with senior colleagues and external professional contacts, and to establish and maintain strong relationships with stakeholders
- The ability to horizon-scan and keep up to date with and share relevant legal and market developments
- Strong commercial awareness and analytical skills
- Flexibility, effective communication skills both verbally and in writing, motivation to learn, and a 'can do' attitude
How we'll reward you
In return, we offer a competitive salary and you'll also join our retirement savings plan. You can also choose from a selection of protection, healthcare or lifestyle extras from RBSelect, our fully flexible reward programme.
Visit our for more information on the benefit packages we offer.
At RBS, we want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, we’ll do everything we can to support you. As part of this commitment, we offer flexible working options for some of our roles - .
As a Financial Services organisation we comply with and support the requirements set by our Regulator, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), which are designed to protect our customers. This role falls under Conduct Rules of the Individual Accountability Regime (IAR) and is subject to pre-employment screening. This means if your application is successful, you’ll need to satisfy some important background checks before you can start working with us. These will include a full credit check, a criminal record check, residency and right to work checks.
We can't find any similar jobs at the moment.